Conquerers of the Waste

TMlord95

It really bothers me when I take out a whole base, filled with technologie ripe for the taking, and no-one comes by to collect.

What I want is basically a computer controlled version of RISK. Each Faction has there base, and if that base is cleared out, another faction comes to claim it. I use the term "faction" loosely, but I digress. The factions would be-

BOS

Outcast

Enclave

Talon Comp.

Rielly's Rangers

Slavers

Raiders

Super Mutants

Ghouls

"Settlers" (Group of random Humans)

"Wastelanders" (Mixture Of Ghouls and Settlers)

"Nature" (The building is reclaimed by the wasteland, is settled by a random group or mixture of animals)

The idea is that the AI would Routinely attack each other, and would be more "defensive" of thee bases. If the player managed to destroy a base, another faction would come and take it over. Say I cleared out Constantine, Talon company and BOS would eventually BOTH come and try and take it over, resulting in a firefight between them. Or when I beat tranquility lane, the Outcast would come take over V112, due to it be a technological gold mine. Hell, I could kill the raiders in the sat-com array, and the whole damn wasteland could converge upon it.

-

Current abilities to do this may be limited, but I will never give up hope for this being possible. It would just be so awesome.

How about adding in Megaton, Rivet City, and Underworld? Each has their own little sphere of influence which will expand or shrink over time, perhaps with the players help. Rather than having talon comp and reilly's as factions themselves, they can be hired by one of the cities (or any of the more organized factions like BOS or Enclave) once that faction expands enough (gets enough wealth, in other words). It doesn't quite make sense for soldiers-for-hire to conquer things on their own, after all, and alliances between factions could be interesting.

You could make a ton of new quests about this all about helping/hindering different factions. You might make two factions form an alliance, or sabotage relations between two cities and have them go to war. Perhaps poison megaton's water supply to weaken them, assassinate talon company's commander, or secure a shipment of weapons for the Enclave. Heck, you could make the raiders themselves into many "clans" or w/e (makes sense for raiders to be rivals of each other) and help one or another rise to dominance.

lol I realize that the initial suggestion alone is a lot of work but just want to point out the huge potential this idea has. I agree, it would be pretty freakin awesome.

This is indeed really cool. But wouldn't such a large mod cause instability? It would take too much computer processing memory to calculate moves for each faction in real time. Wouldn't it cause constant CTD's? Those with lower end PC's will not be able to enjoy the awesomeness of this.

You could only have one battle going at the same time, which would work well I think considering how much time the player spends just travelling. As for calculations, it wouldn't be much more than having each faction have an independent chance of attacking a location, perhaps checked every 4-6 game hours? could be customized to accomodate low end pcs, of course.

There's not really much "calculation", there aren't real battle plans. unit generation based on number of locations "conquered" shouldn't be difficulty although it's not even really necessary. It's not actually an rts or risk-ish sort of thing where the computer micro manages its units to fight more efficiently or gather resources or whatever. That indeed would require far too much scripting imo.

• 5 months later...

Necro-post time :

That's the idea. You empty a base of operations, and someone takes over. I could scrub the family out of existance, and then some less than friendly raiders come to replace them. I go for a visit to friendship station, and notice a few people in green combat armor walking around as apposed to the usual raiders. I pay a visit to V112 to see the Outcast held up there.