Mods make my game unstable

syprus32567

Hi. I'm a big fan of Fallout 3, Mainly because i loved Oblivion. Anyway Like the title states. I Enjoy modding my game. Especially RTS has been a great blast. But after a while my game grows unstable. Crashing when i sleep. Or just randomly.

I would post my load order. But i cant. Due to a full reinstall/wipe of the game. As its so unstable..

Could anyone tell me how to make my game as stable as possible? I see people with +100mods and there games seem just fine. How come with my mearly 8 mods i keep fudging up.

Also if u could make a tiny list of programs i need. Like FOMM. Archiv validation, Patches?

Many thanks on prehand. I just want to enjoy my game without having trouble crashing every so often.

There are many variable's with regards to load order and the different utilities needed to help stabilize your Fallout3 game. I can only tell you what has worked for me.

First make sure you have the game installed correctly and you are updated with the 1.7 patch.

Personally I use FOMM, FO3EDIT, and FOSE. Disable all of your auto-save features.

Make sure all of your ESM's (master files) are at the top of the load order so they load first, before your ESP's. Fallout3 ESM should be the first to load and so on....

I would take the time to read Miax's tutorial on FO3Edit, available on NEXUS.

High resolution textures can also make your game crash depending on how your pc is set up or

what OS you are currently using.

Start your game (new game) with just Fallout3 esm and wait until after you leave the vault to start adding mods, then add them one at a time, checking to see if your game is still stable.

Creating a stable load order takes time. I have been working on mine for almost 6 months now, have well over 120+ mods and my game crashes once a week if even that. Usually I play for 2-3 hours and save, reboot, keep playing. Works for me.

Good luck

Joe

Thanks Joe! I added my mods befor i exited the vault. I'm not sure how much problems that could make.

I dont have many mods yet. And i probebly wont get many.

this is my current load order:

Fallout.3.esm 00

RTS.esm 01

Sharin/caring.esm 02

RTS_Life_of_Raider_addon.esp 03

RTSpatch_RVW.esp 04

Does anybody perhaps know some good armor addons? Doesent neccesary have to be actual armor.. More like clothes, jackets etc.

And some nice weapons (pref realisme) I'm not that into a small pistol that makes a 17inch hole into my enemies xD.

Or got some mod that u said, Man this is AWSOME! Please gimme a link. or perhaps a name? I'm welcome to everything! ^^

Thanks! I downloaded Arms Dealer and Calibri last night. And will impliment it into my game now. + the outfits one u just posted. It looks great!

I forgot to ask. @ Joey2176; Why should i turn off the auto save? I'm geussing if they save together too many times. It would smudge up? I really need to look into this, As RTS has the habit of auto saving couple of times everytime u sleep ingame.

Anymore lovely addons? Let me know!

urgh... Autosaves promote coruption inside the save game. So does using the continue button to load a save game at the main menu. Disable the autosave, use load to load a save game. Quicksaves promote coruption as well. When you want to save press Esc and create a new save game. Then don't delete any save games until you are ready to delete them all an start over.

Corruption.. Nasty word, But thanks for the heads up. I will defo keep that in mind when saving/loading. Dident come to mind that ''continue'' would be a risk factor. Much abliged!

Update of Load List.

Fallout3.esm

RTS.esm

CALIBR.esm

Sharing and caring Companions.esm

RTS_life_of_Raider_addon.esp

RTSpatch_RVW.esp

CALBRxMerchent.esp

Outfits.esp

Arms_dealer_v1.esp

Untill now everything seems pritty stable, I started building my City. And ive got some large scale plans for it ! Will be posting a vid at some point, or perhaps screenshots. Depending on videolagg!

-Much love-

Bump* It seems the time has come. The crashing has begun. Whenever i try to preview a blueprint ingame (with RTS). When closing the blueprint preview it crashes. I'm hoping this is only because of the blueprints. and will delete them. and find a new one. And if nothing els, just not use the blueprint function. This would be a last resort. As its a fabulous way of making your town better.

Here is my load order.

Fallout3.esm

RTS.esm

CALIBR.esm

Sharing and caring Companions.esm

RTS_life_of_Raider_addon.esp

RTSpatch_RVW.esp

CALBRxMerchent.esp

Outfits.esp

Arms_dealer_v1.esp

(Patch 1.7 installed)

If anybody sees anything ''bad'' here. please let me know.

I don't see a merged patch on your list. It is highly recommended to make one with FO3Edit, it prevents a lot of crashes and headaches.

As for having autosaves for your game, I would recommend trying out CASM which is a configurable (ingame actually) autosave mod, and does not have the corruption the normal autosaves/quicksaves have. It also has it's own quicksave button (mapped to F4) which makes a normal save instead of the game's inbuilt one.

One factor that causes a lot of crashing is the amount of actors and scripts running in the cell you are in, so I would suppose filling your city with a lot of people would make the game very unstable. I tested on my own computer after tweaking my settings, and found out that my comp can handle 15-20 actors at the same time, but will become very laggy at times.

One other thing to keep in mind is, that the amount of VRAM on your video card determines how high resolution graphics you can actually run. Especially in areas that have a lot of textures (or too high quality ones), 512 will be way too little if you use Anti Aliasing. When you run out of VRAM, your video card starts swapping textures into your physical memory, and that causes a lot of lag, and in the worst case crashing.

I personally use 4xAA, 6xAF at 1680x1050 res on a 512 card, and the highest textures I install "intentionally" are 512x512.

I hope this ramble helps even a little :D

How would i make such a merged patch? Ive downloaded the tutorial for FO3Edit, But honestly I dont really understand it. If u could give me a short step by step, Or just a ''in a nutshell'' explanation. Would be good,

On the note of amount of actors and scripts:

I kinda doubt this is the reason for crashing, I'm not saying my pc is a god, But it doesent lagg/slow whenever theres alot of people in screen. Hell, whenever raiders attack my city, i have +30ish people around me. And even then its just fine, the crashing seems very random, and it feels like its just mods ''clashing'' I've tried to use FO3Edit, finding problem files etc, and ive deleted some files that seem to be clashing. tested my game, and it ran pritty good, no crashes for around 30mins.

Nonetheless, thanks alot for your post. I will have a look at that saving program, But i feel pritty good with the current just loading/saving with the vanilla program,