I’m particularly new to the modding community and oblivion is the first game I have ever modded. I was hoping that those of you that are very used to modding and veterans at doing so, to part some wisdom onto me as such and help me choose the correct mods for oblivion.

Before I go on any further, my laptop specifications are as follows.

System Model: Acer Aspire 5551

Processor: AMD Athlon II P320 Dual-Core Processor, 2.10 GHz, 2 Cores, 2 Logical Processors.

Installed Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB (2.74 GB Usable)

64-bit Operating System – Windows 7

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250

So far I have installed and tried a number of mods, ones that seem to someone lag my system are; unique landscapes and natural environments. Upsetting in a way since unique landscapes really adds to the overall world, but it’s not something I’m dying to have on there. I have wanted to try better cities, but have yet to be able to get it to work, it just seems to crash my oblivion; so if anyone could help my figure out why I would appreciate it, I have tried installing all of the main files and updates, but even with them it continues to crash or remove a lot of meshes.

I have currently brought the grass fade to zero and I’ve gone into the ini and changed the tall grass from 1 to 0; so I believe it is turned off, it’s not that much of a bother to me not having grass so. I have also left the other fades on default, turned off all of those video settings are can turn off, shadows are down to zero and water on normal.

With these settings I’m running these mods and my laptop and the frame rate seems to be stable; Supreme Magicka, Oblivion XP, Streamline, Low Poly Grass, HUD Status Bars, Fundament, Alternative Start, Bundlement, Dynamic Map, Quest Log Manager, Hrmns Oblivion Script Optimization. I also have CLS Craftbits installed, but I cannot be sure if that causes any frame rate issues.

I would really appreciate if anyone could tell me if I should keep or remove any of those mods to improve the game running on my system. I would also love if there are mods that along with those I’m already running, I can install and run alongside them without any threat of frame rate dropping or the game running less smoothly. One mod I very much want to use it Oscuro’s Oblivion Overhaul, but I’m not too sure whether that will cause a great drop in game performance due to the changes it makes. Any mods that would run perfectly on my system would very much be appreciate as well, I would like to thank anyone who did read this and anyone that responds. Having never modded before and being fairly new to it, I’m not very sure which mods would be perfect for my system and which ones won’t be. And I also plan to record a playthrough of oblivion of sorts and the capturing software I plan to use is bandicam, which so far has done quite well recording; thought I’d best add that in case that affects the choice in mods I can use, though bandicam seems to be quite low impact on the system.

Thank you to any who have read this and plan to respond in advance! I greatly appreciate it.

I’m particularly new to the modding community and oblivion is the first game I have ever modded. I was hoping that those of you that are very used to modding and veterans at doing so, to part some wisdom onto me as such and help me choose the correct mods for oblivion.

Before I go on any further, my laptop specifications are as follows.

System Model: Acer Aspire 5551

Processor: AMD Athlon II P320 Dual-Core Processor, 2.10 GHz, 2 Cores, 2 Logical Processors.

Installed Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB (2.74 GB Usable)

64-bit Operating System – Windows 7

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250

OK, I'm no "veteran" modder, but I've been here a while. Let's have a look at the computer spec, and see what you can do to improve things a teeny bit. Then you'll be able to handle the mods more easily...

Firstly, you are running Windows 7 x64, yet have less than 4GB RAM. The x64 version of Windows is actually likely to be taking up more of your RAM than the 32 bit version would, and for games such as Oblivion which are 32 bit, that means they have less memory to run in. According to the Crucial website you can put up to 8GB in the machine, and that will make one heck of a difference to the game, albeit for a chunk of hard-earned cash. You could do the upgrade in two chunks - but a single 4GB chip first, and you MAY be lucky and find the system will run ok with a 4GB plus a 2GB from your existing memory, giving you 6GB and most of the benefit.

Secondly, once you have the upgraded memory, then look at running the "4GB patch" on Oblivion - it allows the game access to as much of the memory as a 32GB program can handle.

Meanwhile, try out Razer GameBooster - it'll allow you to shut down un-needed parts of Windows while playing, and will re-start them when you end the game. Also look at your Antivirus settings, and adjust the Antivirus to NOT scan the Oblivion process while running (Be sure to scan regularly with a full disk scan so that if you DO puck up a bug, it gets found and dealt with).

Also defrag your hard drive with a third party tool such as Defraggler - it can make a heck of a difference to Oblivion.

But save up for, and buy, the memory, and your laptop will play Oblivion much more smoothly.