Steampunk?

aureolus

call me crazy, but i think a steampunk mod or two would fit perfectly in fallout. and i mean more than just the outfits (even though there most definitely should be some) I'm thinking like clock work mechanized robots,maybe a steampunk-ish pipboy? if anyone else likes this idea or has more ideas to add please post, or even better if you are good at mod making, take a swing or two at it~!

wouldnt really fit the lore, though i personally usually give a damn bout lore, whereas steampunk uses as the name suggests steam engines and mechanical devices, fallouts world has advanced and uses electronic tubes yet...

also steampunk clothing looks like 18th century stuff whereas fallout plays in a 1950ties like world...

steampunk would fit into The Elder Scrolls universe much more, the dwemer used steam and mechanical devices for centuries before they vanished, you see many examples of that in morrowind

you have a point, but actually steampunk is actually more modern than you may think. simply put its as though today's technology was invented in the steam age era, and that is what 60% of steampunk is., some people have made lazer blasters that fit with steampunk, others have made entire computers that fit with the steampunk look. (a desktop and a labtop i believe...) but yeah i do agree for the non-modern things they would fit more in morrowind / oblivion. doesn't mean i don't want it on fallout :P

lol that sounds cool... why copy somin that there is yet instead of inventing somin new :P (well or giving a new name to somin that there is yet)

i like the idea of nukepunk or atompunk, why punk tho? always asked that myslef in regards to steampunk and the like... its nothing punky about it afaik or does it have another meaning?

Punk describes something low-graded. In it's orgin it means prostitute...

So I guess this word is used to describe the subclass of a genre.

Steampunk is a subclass of sci-fi, so its lower graded than sci-fi.

Fallout btw comes closer to cyberpunk, but then again, dont fit there well too.

Atompunk is already in use for settings like fallout.

lol that sounds cool... why copy somin that there is yet instead of inventing somin new :P (well or giving a new name to somin that there is yet)

i like the idea of nukepunk or atompunk, why punk tho? always asked that myslef in regards to steampunk and the like... its nothing punky about it afaik or does it have another meaning?

Steampunk itself was derived from Cyberpunk, which is a story/writing style (i guess there is some fashon in it too, but i just know that behins steampunk usually has some sort of storyline behind someone's steampunk outfit/character. )

Steampunk itself was derived from Cyberpunk, which is a story/writing style (i guess there is some fashon in it too, but i just know that behins steampunk usually has some sort of storyline behind someone's steampunk outfit/character. )

Thats not right. Actually Cyberpunk was derived from Steampunk :whistling:

Most popular substitute of steampunk is jules verne, for cyberpunk it's Blade Runner.

its nothing punky about it afaik or does it have another meaning?

This:

Punk describes something low-graded. In it's orgin it means prostitute...

So I guess this word is used to describe the subclass of a genre.

But the term is also derived from the punk idea of "do it yourself". Cyberpunk was called that way because of how it started, in independent sci-fi printings. But also, because of the whole "hacker theme" and "against the system" that fits the "do it yourself" and the whole punk idea.

Thats not right. Actually Cyberpunk was derived from Steampunk

Youre right, the GENRE steampunk came first. But not the name.

The TERM "Steampunk", on the other hand, was named after the term Cyberpunk. Jules verne and early authors that fits within steampunk never called the genre that way. This genre only received a terminology later on, after cyberpunk.

We can call fallout lots of "somethingpunk" as sub-genre, but talking about overall genres in sci-fi, its retro-futuristic. So, its a sci-fi universe base on old concepts, early sci-fi thinking that modern science have proven wrong. In fallouts case, it involves lots of atomic stuff because its totally centered on the nuclear fear along the 50's with the whole cold war stuff.

Lore-wise, i dont see the need of more steampunk in fallout. Machines with lots of gogs, gears, exposed machinery and unrealistic simple techonlogy doing amazing and or weird stuff already is part of the lore and more could be done without hurting it. Now, a more 18 century look and the use of real steam would be a non-lore aproach but... since fallout is already retro-futurist with lots in common with steampunk, i cant see the purpose of trully steampunk mods only for some pipes constantly releasing steam.