Help the Handicapped!

Sauvage

Streamline makes quite a few changes to your .ini file - That is how it works. It trades visual effects for FPS on the fly. Unless you have a weak system, I don't recommend it.

Thanks for the warning, because I've been thinking about Streamline. However, I quit fighting with Deadly Reflex long before I even knew about Streamline.

My system is pretty good (2gigs of video memory), but it still chugs. I went through and deleted most of the _far meshes from raevwd and got a much better increase. I just kept enough meshes to indicate where something was in the distance. Screw having every little rock showing. I think my slowdowns were due to the game only utilizing one core, where I have a quad core. I think I read that Streamline helps it utilize all 4, or is there another plugin that could do that?

I tried Streamline to see if it would fix a crashing bug that I was getting for a while (it didn't), so I unchecked it. I didn't like it right away because it got rid of self shadows. The crashing seemed to be caused by fast traveling or even entering towns with a companion. I'm not much for companions anyway so I just got rid of the companion.

Sauvage, where did you find the tweaked Deadly Reflex? What was the exact nature of your 1st person problem with it? Did the camera suddenly get placed outside the player skeleton and swing way around when you turn? It's possible to avoid this (I think) by never shield bashing unless you actually have something in the shield hand. Even a torch will work.

Sauvage, where did you find the tweaked Deadly Reflex? What was the exact nature of your 1st person problem with it? Did the camera suddenly get placed outside the player skeleton and swing way around when you turn? It's possible to avoid this (I think) by never shield bashing unless you actually have something in the shield hand. Even a torch will work.

Well, it took some time to find actually. I read about the tweak file on the FCOM wiki site, i believe, but the link was broken. It took some googling to find it. The file is called DRtestfix.zip and its 185kb. Just a replacement esp. I can't remember how I finally found it. You can hunt it down if you want, or just send me a PM with your email addy and I can shoot it to you. Just export your omod to a folder with the omod options intact, replace the esp, and rebuild it!

You have 2GB of video huh? Man, When I built this computer the 2x 8800GTX cards I put in it at 768MB was pretty excessive. lol I hate how fast technology advances! What files did you delete? I want to do the same. Just have the big things viewable.

Streamline makes quite a few changes to your .ini file - That is how it works. It trades visual effects for FPS on the fly. Unless you have a weak system, I don't recommend it.

I don't think I have a weak system. At least I didn't when I built it 2 years ago. I'm running an EVGA setup. 780i mobo, 2x 8800GTX SLI'ed and OC'ed to 621 Core, E8400 3GHz Dual Core OC'ed to 4GHz, 4GB of Corsair cas5, 2x 500GB 32MB Barracudas, and 900 watts of Tagan Below Zero love. I am actually looking at better ram right now though. I kinda skimped on it when I built.

I am sure that my system is probably considered middle of the road now though. lol

I was getting ready to shut off Streamline anyway. I only wanted it because of the autosave feature. Nothing like dying and realizing how long its been since you saved!

Sorry, I forgot to answer this part of your post. Yes, thats exactly what happened. I didn't care for the animations though. When I used the DR dodge, it would make the camera go underground. Don't get me wrong, the 1st person ani view would help to make a non DR using game more immersing, but with DR it only serves to break the immersion.

Yeah, I remember the camera going underground with dodge now as well. I was willing to let that slide. Real shame that he designed the mod with the standard floating head vanilla camera.

But wait! What's this? It seems that all is not lost. Just watch this video of Deadly Reflex 6 and tell me what you notice. :smile:

(The comments seem to be hard-R, just like the violence on screen.)

As for the _far nifs, it's kind of complicated.

First open up the archive file and look at the folder structure so you know where everything is. The files have a naming convention that will help. First I deleted literally everything with the phrase "rock" in it. Right away it was a huge improvement. Then I went through every folder and deleted everything with the phrase "wall" that was also after, say, and s. I can't remember exactly, but there are files named stuff like "swall" or "mwall" and those are the smaller waist-high ruin walls. I also got rid of all the statues, fences, and piers.

It looks overwhelming with all the different files in some of the folders, but the naming convention is easy to read after some trial and error.

As for the _far nifs, it's kind of complicated.

First open up the archive file and look at the folder structure so you know where everything is. The files have a naming convention that will help. First I deleted literally everything with the phrase "rock" in it. Right away it was a huge improvement. Then I went through every folder and deleted everything with the phrase "wall" that was also after, say, and s. I can't remember exactly, but there are files named stuff like "swall" or "mwall" and those are the smaller waist-high ruin walls. I also got rid of all the statues, fences, and piers.

It looks overwhelming with all the different files in some of the folders, but the naming convention is easy to read after some trial and error.

I will be downloading DR6 for sure!

Now, for the nifs... Where am I finding these? I have very few files in my texture and mesh LOD folders, but I just looked in my distantLOD, and I have friggin 15654 files in there!! Can that be right? Or is something amiss?

DistantLOD is the distant land forms folder. The game uses separate models for the distant land, and the "ground" is actually a whole other series of models that "follow" you around, producing the correct textures. If you wander around beyond the borders in some regions like Black Marsh, you can actually see the "edges" of it following you. Eventually you'll reach the literal edge, even though the distant mountain meshes still keep going. Presumably there is the entire heightmap of Tamriel in non-solid LOD form, or almost the whole thing. Jumping off the edge of the solid ground results in a very strange occurrence.

You need to look in Meshes/Architecture and Meshes/Dungeons, among other places. If any one of those folders have a _far nif look at it's file name and decide if you want to get rid of it. For instance if the file is called "crtbaseleftfront_far.nif" it is the left side of the front of the base of Cloud Ruler Temple. Obviously you don't know which of these files are things you don't care about seeing from a distance. Some of them are more obvious than others.

Look in the zip file that RAEVWD came in. That folder structure is what you should follow on your hard drive to find the _far nifs.

Hi, I'd like to suggest a few mods as well. They aren't all top notch, but they add some nice things to Oblivion.

Armamentarium - Adds tons of weapons, and more armor.

Akatosh Mount - Adds dragon mounts which are nice for great views of the land, and for travel.

Ren's Beauty Pack - adds some great hair styles, and the mystic elf

Shadowcrest Vineyard - An amazing house mod, haven't got to far into it, but from what I can see you won't be disappointed.

Xenius Race Compilation - More races, and hair styles for those races.

Somehow I missed your post, and just found it when I was re-reading the thread for some info. I looked at the Akatosh mount, and decided against it... Maybe later. I opted to use the Beautiful People mod, which has Rens in it. I already decided to use Shadowcrest! =)

Armamentarium looks AWESOME! I just got done downloading it. Though it looks like it is gonna take some doing to get it working right. I also decided to switch from Exnems to the HGEC body mod after reading more into it, and there is a mod that adds HGEC meshes to Armamentarium. Plus I have to use seperate downloads for adding Arm into my big mods. I have to read some more, but I believe that using the OOO version is what I need for FCOM. I think I will have to ask in the MOD forums to be sure.

After spending a lot more time reading and getting advice in this thread and the thread I started in the MOD section, I have decided to start over. =( I found better options for the areas I wanted to improve the game in, and found I read a few things wrong that changed what I needed in some cases.

I am hoping I can make it through this install a lot faster than the last one. I just started reading about BAIN, and am going to utilize it this time around.