Dialog issues with new NPC

TheCutSnake

I have created 4 new NPC's in my mod.

For 3 of them, all I want them to do is reply with one of 3 random statements then finish conversation. I have made that work, however, every so often I am given the greetings "Yeah?", "What do you need?" and "Hey there." I do not want them to say those things but seem unable to remove them from the NPC's dialog.

Any help would be appreciated.

Those three greetings come from the "generic" quest and are based on your NPCs using one of the default voice types. You can get rid of them two ways:

1) Find those greeting in the "generic" quest and add conditions to them that will prevent them from being used by your NPCs (like GetIsID != NPCName). But that will leave your mod open to mod conflicts with any other mod that modifies these greeting topics.

2) Give your NPCs a custom voice type. But you will loose all of the random stuff they say unless you make it yourself.

I would avoid the tip about going through all the generic dialogue and adding a != condition. While that would work, it's a cumbersome approach. Best thing to do is just make a new variable set to 1 for your NPC's and add that as a condition for the greetings. That variable condition will supersede any greetings from the generic pool.

I would avoid the tip about going through all the generic dialogue and adding a != condition. While that would work, it's a cumbersome approach. Best thing to do is just make a new variable set to 1 for your NPC's and add that as a condition for the greetings. That variable condition will supersede any greetings from the generic pool.

I have tried using a new voice type and that just gave me an empty window instead of a greeting.

I would like to try your idea but i do not understand it.

Yup, once you use a new voice type, you have to add your own greeetings. Just add the GREETing topic to your quest then add a new info to the topic and use GetIsID == <NPC Name> as a condition on the info.

If you want to cut out the other generic greetings, and you don't want to use GetIsId != NPC Name, you could do what Bally9 said, but realize that will only work for one NPC, if you want to do this for several NPCs, the amount of work will be just as long "cumbersome" either way. You can also create a faction, and all of the NPCs you want to be excluded from the generic greetings to that faction and then exclude that faction from using those greetings. There are many ways to accomlish this, I just went for the easiest.

A follow-up question almost on topic: Is there a vanilla voicetype that is empty? I have a NPC that I want to keep silent at all times. I don't want to touch/replace any vanilla content, and I need a way to make her not greet or have any conversations at all without touching scripts or quests. The NPC side on GECK is still a bit of a mystery to me as I have concentrated on other things.

When you create a new voicetype there is a small box in the center of the window that is followed by "Allow Default Dialogue". If you don;t want your NPC to say any generic greetings then perhaps not checking that box will do the trick. Just make sure that you really are creating a new voicetype and not overwriting an existing one. That mistake can be easily made.

If you want an NPC to remain silent try selecting "None" under voicetype in the NPC edit window.

Thanks for the help guys. I have found a workaround.

What I planned for was the npc to say something and run away when you started a conversation. Since I could not get that to work, I used getstage and getisid to start the greeting, which then leads to my reply, followed by a random speech before running off. It is not exactly how I first pictured it but I think it's now much better.

Thanks again. I need no more help on this subject.

Cut Snake