Bug Fixes - Freeze & CTD @ Loading Screen

benjaminedward

Ever have the problem where you attempt to go through a door, and it crashes? And no matter how many times or what you do to try to fix it, it just doesn't work? Well, I had that problem, and came up with a solution. While this probably won't work for everyone, and it isn't the best solution that will be invented, it certainly works for the time being.

From what I have deciphered, the bug comes from certain zones being connected, and when you travel from one zone or cell to another zone and cell, they seem to be almost incompatible in nature. So the trick is to get to a certain zone or cell from a far, far away cell. The only procedure I know to achieve this is with the CoC command. If you crash every time you leave the Mothership to the wasteland from the portal in the captains quarter (in Mothership Zeta), the best way to get to the wasteland without crashing is either using coc Scrapyard (Scrapyard is a zone nearby the homing beacon) or by going into another room in Mothership Zeta and using coc (Alien Homing Beacon's ID). The cell ID of areas can be found on FO3 Wiki, and if you can't find it there, you can always open up the Fallout Editor. This is a simple work around, and truthfully I did thrice the typing I needed to in order to get my point across.

Other Things.

- Crash on save

Blow yourself up, or go into third person view, press tilde~, click yourself, then type kill. I have not actually experienced this fix, but since you are already in this thread you might as well get as much information as possible.

- Save often!

Either press F5 very often, or press tilde~, and type save 1. This will save a game called 1.

-Can't start Fallout 3 back after switching tabs. Alt tabbing out making you unable to alt tab back in.

Very simple solution, I had this all the time when I clicked the window on the bottom to come back up. ONLY USE ALT-TAB to switch between them, never click windows!

Give kudos if this helped you!

Quick update to this solution. Since the problem seems to be related to the corruption of certain objects/scripts in your game, many, many areas will not load past the loading screen. The only solution is to reinstall. But there is good news for those who have never reinstalled, you do NOT have to reinstall mods after a reinstall, nor do you have to delete your save games. I have reinstalled with a save game and it resulted with absolutely no corruption.