How to edit house mods?

Dankuj

I'm looking to edit some of the house mods that I have installed. Things like new containers and some idle markers mostly, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to hell to save what I've done.

I always get this when I try to save-

File ' Mod ' is a master file or is in use. Please select another file to save to.

So I try saving it with a new name, but it doesn't show up in my FOMM, it only shows up whenever I try to load the file through G.E.C.K and in FO3 Edit.

Can anyone please help me :wallbash: . I'm not experienced with G.E.C.K obviously, but all I want to do is edit some of the house mods I downloaded for personal use.

Thank you.

You can't save changes to an ESM. You will have to convert the mod into an ESP first, then make your changes, then turn it back into an ESM. Download and install FO3Edit to perform the conversion. Get the manual here.

Its a simple matter of opening the mod with FO3Edit and removing the ESM flag in the header record.

Thanks a bunch, in the process of downloading the manual now.

Another quick question though. Can I make changes to an active mod, or would I need to disable it, save my game, then enable it like its a new mod?

Thanks again in advance!

I'm looking to edit some of the house mods that I have installed. Things like new containers and some idle markers mostly, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to hell to save what I've done.

I always get this when I try to save-

File ' Mod ' is a master file or is in use. Please select another file to save to.

So I try saving it with a new name, but it doesn't show up in my FOMM, it only shows up whenever I try to load the file through G.E.C.K and in FO3 Edit.

Can anyone please help me :wallbash: . I'm not experienced with G.E.C.K obviously, but all I want to do is edit some of the house mods I downloaded for personal use.

Thank you.

If the mod is an ESM you could use that as the master and create a new esp to make your changes. That way if the original author updates their mod you changes will not have to be done again.

You just open GECK select the ESM but don’t make it active load it then save as a new name and you have an esp that modifies the ESM.

If the mod is an ESM you could use that as the master and create a new esp to make your changes. That way if the original author updates their mod you changes will not have to be done again.

You just open GECK select the ESM but don’t make it active load it then save as a new name and you have an esp that modifies the ESM.

I've tried doing that but the ESP doesn't appear in my FOMM.

On a side note, I used FO3Edit to take the ESM header off and was able to edit some of the house mods. Whenever I try to

open the file in GECK I get a bunch of errors, is this normal?

I've tried doing that but the ESP doesn't appear in my FOMM.

On a side note, I used FO3Edit to take the ESM header off and was able to edit some of the house mods. Whenever I try to

open the file in GECK I get a bunch of errors, is this normal?

Can you actually see your new esp you saved in the data directory by using the windows explorer?

About the errors...

In most cases, you can ignore those errors. The geck will spit many out that hve no effect on the game. If you are experienceing some problems, however, a careful read of those errors may be in order. The errors where it says stuff like it can't find ears, lips, etc or emmitance errors or a bunch of other stuff is totally normal. Even the Bethesda made stuff has them. Often when the Geck can't do something, the game still will.