Unexplainable Lag

_Soviet_

Ok so I have been playing all last weekend and throughout the week no problems, then one of my saves corrupted, so I tryed reinstalling so it could stop it from happening again. Now when I play I get terrible framerate lag and sometimes when I enter V.A.T.S. the game crashes. While it was working fine a few days ago I was playing on Ultra settings with max AA and AF with a resolution of 1980 x 1200. Now even with no AA or AF and a resolution of 1024 x 960 I get really bad lag. Ive checked and I dont have any other processes running. I really would like some help with this, as quickly as possible please.

Is the same issue happening to your other PC games? Have you tried updating your video card and sound card driver?

Uhh well im capped at the moment so I cant really download anything. Im not sure that it is that though because it was working fine 24 hours ago. Im not sure how it could have changed in condition so quickly. Im thinking it may be because I reinstalled (because it started messing up after I reinstalled) or it could be the fact that Windows Live has been asking me to update my game everytime I log in with my Live account.

I kind of think it's the new drivers. I went to my grapics card control panel an picked "let the 3D application decide" rather than the "used my advanced settings" Which got rid of the vats fire crash. Using the advanced settings were just away around spotted texture filtering using fallout 3's AA an AF, but if you don't have that problem you don't need the advanced settings anyway (as a way to override the 3D application) Then something else that new to us around here is http://thenexusforums.com/index.php?showtopic=186151 The link at this post goes to another site, but I wasn't having problems an was going to follow what the post said anyway.

Yeah AA an AF will cause lag, but 2X shouldn't which is all fallout really needs anyway. So long as it has good quality at 2X. However say I wanted to go underground an I had MMM-feral ghoul rampage in my fallout 3 build, I'd turn off AA an AF at that point because I know everything is going to be moving fast, an the ghouls look like poop anyway.

Then probably the biggest cause of lag would be the player made textures. Mostly 4096X4096 an 2048X2048 texture maps, but it can also be anything that some dufus decided not to encode mip-maps or compress via DXT. You can use something like Paintnet to shrink the map sizes down while keeping 99% of the detail an gaining sharpness, while also making sure mip-maps are encoded along with being compressed into DXT. There's an article on it @ http://fallout3nexus.com/articles/article.php?id=208

I kind of think it's the new drivers. I went to my grapics card control panel an picked "let the 3D application decide" rather than the "used my advanced settings" Which got rid of the vats fire crash. Using the advanced settings were just away around spotted texture filtering using fallout 3's AA an AF, but if you don't have that problem you don't need the advanced settings anyway (as a way to override the 3D application) Then something else that new to us around here is http://thenexusforums.com/index.php?showtopic=186151 The link at this post goes to another site, but I wasn't having problems an was going to follow what the post said anyway.

Yeah AA an AF will cause lag, but 2X shouldn't which is all fallout really needs anyway. So long as it has good quality at 2X. However say I wanted to go underground an I had MMM-feral ghoul rampage in my fallout 3 build, I'd turn off AA an AF at that point because I know everything is going to be moving fast, an the ghouls look like poop anyway.

Then probably the biggest cause of lag would be the player made textures. Mostly 4096X4096 an 2048X2048 texture maps, but it can also be anything that some dufus decided not to encode mip-maps or compress via DXT. You can use something like Paintnet to shrink the map sizes down while keeping 99% of the detail an gaining sharpness, while also making sure mip-maps are encoded along with being compressed into DXT. There's an article on it @ http://fallout3nexus.com/articles/article.php?id=208

Thanks for the suggestions but I dont see why all of a sudden I should minimize my settings, even though I have previously played it on Ultra with no lag whatsoever. I just finished my Nvida drivers and im going to give it another shot. (Ive lost my epic save game anyway so I may as well reinstall :[ )

EDIT: Also I dont really use custom mods with my Fallout, only stat modifiers and a few default model enhancements.

Thanks for the suggestions but I dont see why all of a sudden I should minimize my settings, even though I have previously played it on Ultra with no lag whatsoever. I just finished my Nvida drivers and im going to give it another shot. (Ive lost my epic save game anyway so I may as well reinstall :[ )

EDIT: Also I dont really use custom mods with my Fallout, only stat modifiers and a few default model enhancements.

Do you save at the same slot everytime you save?

Ive heard that makes saves corrupt(happend to me , lvl 29 and over 30 hours gameplay :wallbash: ) so i use CASM now, it saves at diffrent slots everytime. im lvl 14 and it have worked fine so far...

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3729