⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Steam sale and downloading issues prompts CDN expansion

Dark0ne

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #16469219. #16479084, #16479759, #16487704 are all replies on the same post.

Yes it sucks for me as well. I doubt it's anything on my end as my download speed is over 6 Megabytes a second, I keep getting sent to the dead salt lake server over and over and the damn thing never sends anything till it sends me to London and then I get a half assed speed boost.

In response to post #16629119. #16786104 is also a reply to the same post.

Yes there should be a daily limit some one can download a day, like say 10-40 when not in peak hours. But when the servers reach their peak limit then all downloaders (excluding Premium Users) will get a message saying "If you are trying to download this file please wait while our bandwidth grows to a good amount." Also if this were me running the file servers I would turn on HTTP pipelining on which would help greatly and i would restrict certain mods from being downloaded during peak server times and events such as that Steam sale. The mods that I would restrict would be the mods that have the biggest file size first, such as 1Gb-100mb. Any file that is under the 100mb limit would able to be downloaded. You guys could also add mirrors to other reputatible CDNs such as http://www.fileplanet.com/; http://download.cnet.com/ and others.

On July 13 people were complaining about download speeds. Now it is July 23. Still can't reliably download anything. As for now being able to choose server. 1) Before server change over I was downloading from a server in San Jose which is a 1 hour drive from my home. That server isn't even in the list of servers. Busy or available. 2) The only choices I'm given are Salt lake, or England. And off them, the only time I'm able to complete a download, is before work around 4am PST. Even then a 127mb file takes about 1 hour to download. Which is OK because it gives me time to sh*t, shower, shave, and eat breakfast. I have 11 mods needing update. Should be able to get them all by Aug. if all goes as it is. ;))