ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Arc Thrower available in Pistol Slot for selection, but blank slot in battle

Elenear

Hello.

I have modified my DefaultGameCore.ini file according to this guide, having exited the exe files to allow for mods. I am able to see the arc thrower in the Pistol slot during loadout selection and I can assign it to a soldier - it is shown in the pistol slot, and the weapon is also visible on the soldier model.

When I enter a battlefield however, I am unable to select arc thrower - it's slot is blank, there is no symbol for arc thrower.

Can anyone help with this please?

Thanks

Have you disabled "phoning home" as described in the "Basic guide to installing mods" article? (It's also mentioned in that section of the "DIY" article as well.) That has been known to revert the "AT as Pistol" mod during play.

Otherwise, are you running any other mods? Specifics, please.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I disabled phoning home by adding the relevant IP address and URLs to the hosts file - and that was done as per the very guide you have linked in fact (I double checked for the IP/URLs in the log file so these are correct). Prior to that, arc thrower was not even showing in the pistol slot during equipment selection (despite the ini file edit), so the fact that it was available for selection as a pistol after I have disabled PH should act as a confirmation that the PH is actually disabled. (The ini file retains my changes for arc thrower to be in pistol slot and not in the backpack slot). It's just not available during the actual mission.

Here is the list of the other mods that I use. Majority are texture mods, save fot last 2, however they should not affect pistols in any way.

I also use this SweetFX preset, and additoinally I have disable intro movies by editing the relevant ini file. Note I play EU, not EW (want to save EW for a Long War playthrough). I run the game via Texmod of course, with Launcher disabled (changed the file name), so that EW is launched automatically.

If you need any more info please let me know.

This is the first I've seen of this problem, then. (While not impossible I might have missed it, I do check all the forums here pretty much daily.) That you can't see the AT in the pistol slot in the tactical game suggests it might be related to a texture mod (especially since that seems to be all you have installed), but is not definitive.

While I am not familiar with "Graphics Mod - X-COM Enemy Unknown", I do see that it was last updated in Oct 2012, which means it's unlikely to be compatible with anything much later than EU patch 2. Try without that installed. (BTW: which EU patch level are you playing? See "Basic Guide to installing mods" for how to determine this.)

Prior to EW patch 2 the modding community was forced to base all their mods upon hex code offsets. Any patch tended to affect those, so mods that weren't updated tended to break. Then the community developed a technique that is not "hex offset" dependent and thus more resilient to breaking, but mods still need to be updated to work with it. Most EU mods (except those by wghost81) haven't been.

"Military Retexture Pack" is another "outdated" mod that might be a potential problem. While it doesn't say it touches the AT, who knows what the author included in those "categories".

Otherwise, all I can suggest is revert back to vanilla, make the AT INI change to the Pistol Slot, and test before and between adding each mod to pin down the culprit.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

OK, I figured it out. The actual item is not shown in the bottom left corner for selection, but I can obviously select the Arc Thrower action from the menu at the bottom... I was under the impression that I need to select it as a weapon first. Oh well, you learn something new every day!