"New Style" Armor/weapon/gear requests

DarkeWolf

Ok, first, let me say that I am quite a newb when it comes to doing 3d art. I hardly know the first thing about doing any of it. Which a vast majority of us are. So if you're going to post on here, asking for new armor models, new weapon models, anything that involves the creation of new equipment that didnt come in the game... this is one of you saying this-

Yes, we do get tired of seeing reskins and revamps of the same old things that came with the game. But please folks, PLEASE understand that AT THIS POINT IN TIME IT IS MORE THAN EXETREMELY DIFFICULT TO ADD ANYTHING TO THIS GAME that isnt anything more than a very small change to that existing item.

I'll leave it up to those that are more knowledgable than I, to try to explain why it is so difficult. But I will break it down to the most basic level. Even if you have ALL the parts needed to put a car together, you can't do very much of that without the tools you need to put it all together. Maybe you've got a wrench or a screwdriver, but that's not going to work for the entire project.

Second- People, you've got to understand that this is NOT Morrowind. This is NOT Oblivion. This game works NOTHING like either of those games, and the majority of things that were possible for them, right now, for DA...isn't.

Both those games have had YEARS for people to figure out how to do the things for those games. To figure out how to make that stuff work, and have made tools to assist in doing so.

Dragon Age isnt that far along yet. We have very little knowledge of the mechanics involved with THIS game. There is VERY liitle in the way of modder resources for Dragon Age.

Also, I'll offer you some very friendly advice. If, after you read this, I really dont recommend mentioning either Morrowind or Oblivion in your request. Those two names are taboo in the modders section, and will get on their bad side, really fast.

is it really that bad to give people an idea of what kind of mod would be appreceated?

besides, it has been proven at bringing complete new models into the game is possible. just look at Fenods work :agony, bonemaw, deatheight, deathscale, lament and he is working on a costum armor set atm.

I'm not saying that it's a bad to post ideas, or to make known what a person would like to see in the game. I'm saying that if you dont get any responses to the thread, or dont see the mod put into creation, don't be upset because right now, the folks that know how to do this kind of thing, don't have reliable tools to be able to do them.

Weapons are much easier. They dont require a bone structure. Armor however does. Bones are mapping points added into a mesh which allows for articulated and reticulated movement. IE- if there's no bone structure to the mesh, the mesh won't move when a toon runs, walks, swings a weapon, etc. And, I believe that these bones have to match the ones in the vanilla items, or else it won't work as desired.

I know that there's a lot of the modders that use a free program called Blender. Primarily because Blender is Free, and because it's somewhat easier to use than other 3d progs. Its kind of limited tho. And right now, as far as I know.... there's only one script available that allows for the import/export of DA extensioned formats. A script that has a penchant for Crashing during complex modifications to meshes.

New meshes like the Better Look, Natural Bodies, and stuff like that, arent making complex changes. They're just expanding or reducing some of the coordinates of some of the existing meshes. One of the new armors I've seen that modifies queen Anora's dress, or the reaver armor modifications are simply deleting parts of the mesh, then adding new textures.