Custom reload sounds - are they possible?

Is it possible to add custom unique reload/jam sounds to different weapons?

Obviously I could replace for example, the 10mm pistol reload sound in the GECK with something different. But what I want to do is have each different weapon have its own reloading/jam sound. For example a USP Match and Sig Sauer P226, would share the same animations, but I want each one to have its own unique reload sound. Is there some way to accomplish this, or are the sounds somehow tied to the reload animation?

Thanks,

~ II

Yes, it is possible. You just need to do some scripting and ID editing if you were to make the jamming sounds for custom weapons. Vanilla weapons already come with their own individual jamming sound category.

• 2 years later...

Greetings to you all!

I have been trying to import the shotgun pump animation from New Vegas to Fallout 3 for a while, and I have succeeded. But the sounds weren't working (this applies to any custom sounds as well). Apparently, the animations (nif) are linked to the sounds. Therefore, anything non-vanilla has to be specified manually. To simplify this, here's an example:

Suppose you want to make the bb gun cocking sound (the one that it makes after a shot is fired) sound like the cocking sound of the hunting shotgun from fallout new vegas. Steps to follow:

1. Extract from the New Vegas sounds.bsa the "weapon_huntingshotgun_reload_end" using FOMM to /Fallout 3/Data/sound/fx/wpn/bbgun

2. Rename it to "wpn_bbgun_prime"

3. Extract the attack animation for the bbgun from Fallout 3 using FOMM to Fallout 3\Data\Meshes\characters\_1stPerson and Fallout 3\Data\Meshes\characters\_male

4. Open the file using NifScope.

5. Scroll to the bottom where it says "NiTextKeyExtraData"

6. In one of the entries it should say "Sound WPNBBgunPrime". If it does, the specific animation shall play that exact sound.

Kinda the same goes for custom animations. Except that, if, say you get a custom shotgun reload animation and want it to sound like, say, the bbgun's lever when it reloads, you have to change whatever entry in step 6 to "WPNBBGunPrime".

That is the key for the whole thing! That line tells the animation what sound file to use from the GECK. And that can be an obstacle, too. For, should you want to have custom sounds in your game, without scripting the only thing you can do is rename those custom sounds so that they match the ones in the Fallout 3 Geck. I hope this helped!

Happy Modding!