Utterly lost...

OK i'm new to fallout 3 period.

I've installed mods on a couple of other games.

I've read the mod installation topic, read the fomm help file, read the mods readme files...

so far the only mod i have been able to get working is FWE and thats because it literately installs itself to fomm...what am i doing wrong?

example...

project beauty (figured i would start with the non HD first)

unrar/unzip'd

copied esp to data folder

copied character folder to textures folder (since mine did not have a characters folder)

copied head folder to meshes/characters (since mine did not have a head folder)

launched fomm saw the PB name in the data box, checked it launched through fomm...

nothing/nada still scrunchy stock fallout faces... :confused:

rinse and repeat with the HD textures pack and fellout...nothing

and where am i supposed to stick foip and all those mod + mod compatibility patches?

system overload....crash... :wallbash:

all me wants is FWE + MMM + PB HD + HD textures + fellout

i suppose that IS asking too much... :biggrin:

If FWE installed itself then it must be a FOMOD file that has been tailored to work with FOMM. Easy to install and easy to uninstall. The other mods that you mention are quite popular and I would be surprised if they do not have FOMOD versions. If not, you can learn to make them into FOMODs.

I expect that many of those mods may also require Fallout Script Extender (FOSE).

Considering how often those plug-ins have been installed properly by other users, patiently re-check the documentations. Technical rule of thumb: Nine times out of ten the problem is operator error.

Often times, with mods that are not of the FOMOD type, all you have to do is extract everything to the \Data folder and the extraction will create any non-exsisting folders and place the appropriate files within them. This is not always the case however, so a thorough read of the mod's readme is in order.

If FWE installed itself then it must be a FOMOD file that has been tailored to work with FOMM. Easy to install and easy to uninstall. The other mods that you mention are quite popular and I would be surprised if they do not have FOMOD versions. If not, you can learn to make them into FOMODs.

I expect that many of those mods may also require Fallout Script Extender (FOSE).

Considering how often those plug-ins have been installed properly by other users, patiently re-check the documentations. Technical rule of thumb: Nine times out of ten the problem is operator error.

Thanks for your reply!

Yes i purposely downloaded the fomm version of FWE i simply extracted it then when i clicked the extracted file it immediately installed it self to fomm then asked for FOSE which i then installed.

problem with the other mods is that fomm accepts them but but they don't show up in the data box in the same way as FWE they have "DEFAULT" for the author while FWE has the correct author.

is project beauty supposed to affect your character as well as the npc's? because my character still looks stock as well as the npc's.

I'm running Project Beauty and it affects all characters. Note that you don't have to use the ESP that comes with it for the textures to apply. The ESP only contains tweaked faces on many of the more major characters' faces.

It sounds to me like you haven't applied Archive Invalidation Invalidated. Since you have FOMM installed, just open it up and click "Toggle Invalidation" (6th button down on the right side), click "Yes" on the resulting dialogue box ("Apply Archive Invalidation?"), and you should be set.

I'm running Project Beauty and it affects all characters. Note that you don't have to use the ESP that comes with it for the textures to apply. The ESP only contains tweaked faces on many of the more major characters' faces.

It sounds to me like you haven't applied Archive Invalidation Invalidated. Since you have FOMM installed, just open it up and click "Toggle Invalidation" (6th button down on the right side), click "Yes" on the resulting dialogue box ("Apply Archive Invalidation?"), and you should be set.

Pretty sure everyone will agree with sortitus, AII problem which is really common. For me, FOMM would not take care of archive invalidation at all. I had to used the utility tool to fix it. After I used this, all problems were solved. So you can give it a try too.

Fallout 3 > Utilities

ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=944

Thats the weird part, i have used both archiveinvalidation methods, the one in fomm and the stand alone one.

just to be clear does PB HD NEED the original PB'S main files? (not that it matters i've tried installing the original then HD on top)

i wonder what little detail i'm overlooking to get it working...

on another quick note if i install PB regular then PB HD, since they both show up in fomm do i need to have them both activated for HD to work or only the one i want?

I PM'd the creator in hopes he would reply with help but i can't help to be frustrated at how the very same creators handle the installation instructions for their own mods. Since i'm obviously new at this i try to be as literal as possible with following the instructions but get tripped up on the authors own inability to follow his own instructions.

example, in the instructions for HD he tells you to go ahead and "install it" its a big one...what does that mean?

He meant go ahead and "download it" its a big one...

also halfway through the instructions he stops being literal and simply tells you to make sure and dump them into your fallout archive...yeah but where exactly? what folder?

example, when going from PB to PB HD there are NEW "HEAD" files you are told to dump them in your characters folder...

but what about dumping them in the folder within the character folder labeled "HEAD"? or do i just dump them out side of it.

I realize that to many of you this may seem trivial hand holding BUT shouldn't instructions be written with the ubberest of noobs in mind?

lol well now that i've shot my self in the foot in any hopes of help from the creator (if he reads this) i'm going back to fiddlin to see hat i can get working...

In general, find a folder with files of the same name and overwrite them. I'm not using HD right now, but I'm downloading it to see what the inside looks like.

EDIT: I've got the file. Looks like all you need to do is copy the folder called "Data" to your root Fallout 3 directory (the one with .exe files in it). If you want the face changes, move the ESP(s) into your Data folder and enable them. For the hair textures option, copy the folder called "hair" into your Data/Textures folder.