C**p about racist..

The Extreme TES

He's a 14yrold German kid and doesn't understand the context of slavery in American history any more than an American 14yrold has an understanding of what the Soviet Army did in Poland during WW2. There's no proof the kid uploaded the mod with racist intent. That means he and his mod are being bashed on supposition and hearsay, not fact.

You guys can keep throwing gas on the bonfire if you want but I'm walking away from this trainwreck before it turns ugly and stupid. :verymad:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That or lock it.

Therein lies the problem.

If we always fear to talk over sensative subject matter, no progress toward resolution can ever be made.

This world could be a much better place if we were able to spend less time worrying about hurting others feelings and more time fixing the REAL problems we have ALL loosed upon our society.

There's a difference between talking about the issue, and brow beating a person for uploading a mod.

Regardless of if we talk about it here or not, it won't change how the real issue is handled in the rest of the world. As long as there are people who are walking around spouting the same racist rhetoric, and as long as there if emotional harm related to the problem, an informed and honest discussion cannot happen. It's not that the topic is not worth discussing, just that this is neither the time nor the place to really get into it.

This thread has been so seriously offensive in the last several posts that only having IPS Driver errors has stopped me from locking it. Since then the conversation has moved into a slightly better direction, but my finger's on the trigger.

If you don't know any black people, or if you have only "one black friend", I promise you, you are not equipped to talk about this subject intelligently. That's not your fault, but it certainly makes the subject "foreign" to you. Any scapegoating on this thread I will delete from the posts, that's a primary insult and I won't stand for it.

Edited by myrmaad

I have black family, I share blood with other races.

My GGrandFather was American-Indian.

My wife is asian!

And I am very German.

So I ment ZERO disrespect to anyone, on the contrary, I commend the OP for not seeing an issue with his mod. (isnt that the point)

I never expected to make a difference here. (but then again, isnt that the problem)

Sorry for those last few lines of post.

I know when to leave well enough alone...

...I will post here nomore.

Well crap, am I the forum token black guy? Anyway, the OP mentions reading the definition of the word on the internet, so I am now curious if English is your first/main language or are you using the internet to put your words into English. A translation misunderstanding might explain some of what has happened. Edit: Just saw the answer to my own question.

About the word being offensive, it seems mostly so to younger people, it often seems like some people say it because they want to the other word, but know it will result in the their arms being ripped off. Older people don't seem to mind so much, likely because they heard and were called much worse. And let's not forget that for a while it was the "acceptable" word to use, and even was used in official capacity such as the Negro College Fund.

Since so many people are pointing it out, I'm 32, live in Mississippi (for about 20 years) and I have no black friends. Does the word offend me? Sometimes, depends on the tone it was used and this specific issue seems to be a case of bad internet translations and a simple lack of historical knowledge.

If you're black, you don't need black friends or loved ones to give you a valid frame of reference, though your loved ones will probably have a major impact. Edited by myrmaad

As a mixed race person with both black and white races/cultures within my family I would like to say that an all black oblivion race would be a great addition to the game (as would any all white race, or any other race for that matter). I think the issue is how you refer to your race - ie, black, negro, african etc etc. I would think that ANY name would cause some offense somewhere so the simple solution would be not to refer to colour or race at all (even though that may be a defining aspect of the mod) it would be better to pick an original race name with no reference to any particular colour.

For instance having a very pale race with white hair and calling the mod Aryan race, may get remarks for being racist also - but if you called them the Pira race and refered to them as peoples who invented a type or bridge and they got their name from this then race would not be an issue.

I would think of an orginal name, and think about why they got this name (from some sort of accomplishment or historical event (not anything in connection with real black culture)) something original and interesting then I don't think race would be an issue at all.

I guess I'm the token black woman here, lol Biracial, but still black. To the OP- There was no need to remove your mod, just rename it. Calling someone a "negro" in these times is not politically correct anymore. It always comes down to semantics and perceptions, because I'm no more of a pure color black than anyone is a pure color of white. Those are just terms we refer to ourselves as. Right now it's African-American or Black in America. I choose black or biracial.

How about renaming your mod to something like "Bronzians" to denote the darker skin color (as in beautiful hues of bronze)? If you did upload a mod and associated "negros" with slavery, then that is a no-no and sure to raise somebody's ire. You probably have to be black to fully appreciate the connotations, although I see so many intelligent folks in here that definitely get the concept. I applaud you all for being so culturally sensitive and willing to discuss the issue without nastiness or disrespect on either side of the debate.

I always play Redguard. I've always thought Redguards were black. I was thankful to see it, because the races of color (culture color, not fantasy colors) are often neglected in the RPG games we play, unless there is a slider to change skin color darker.

If I'd seen a mod named "Negros...", I'm not gonna lie, my eyebrow would have raised, and my lips turned to the side like this--> :confused: It would have been a true WTH?? moment. BUT in reading the OP's explanation, I agree with my token brotha Woogie :wink: it seems to be a lack of knowledge of the implications and history of the term.

And for the poster that explained about negro being black in Spanish...yes it is, but they vehemently protest if someone calls themselves that. It is used to denote the color of objects, not people. I speak Spanish and when I worked in an inner city ER, I often had Hispanic patients. I minored in Spanish undergrad, but learned to truly speak the language from them. When they would ask my nationality and I called myself Negra (cause my features always make them assume I'm Hispanic), they quickly told me "no..no es Morena!" Morena means brunette in spanish. So as many of us have pointed out, it's all about culture, history and custom.

No harm done by the OP. Now you know. You've had a history and culture lesson all on a gaming site. How kewl is that! :thumbsup: So just rename your mod and leave out the slavery part (the Argonians and Khajiits will thank you too) and I think you'll be fine. 8)

I'm going to revamp Redguards (working on orcs ATM) and add more Yokudan races. There were the Ansei (Redguard battlemages already present in game lore) and I'll make lovely bronze-skinned elves too.

EDIT: Members are downrating the OP. Isn't that nice? That's the kind of thing high school mean-girls do on-line.