Different Vision Modes?

MrGoostoff

Hey everyone. I've seen quite a bit of different night vision mods, but none of them are really what I'm looking for. I'd imagine it to be quite difficult, but how would I go about making my own NVG Mod?

I have to apologize as I am new to modding, but I am trying to make a mod that will allow power armors to toggle on or off nightvision, and I'm wondering first of all if it is possible, and second of all how difficult it would be.

Also:

I'm currently modeling out some Predator armors, is it at all possible to make the signature heat-vision of the Predator mask?

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Yes it is possible to make power armor toggle something that looks like Night Vision.

You will need to experiment with Imagespace Modifiers in order to get the look that you want. I have found that one custom Imagespace Modifier does not give the same results in all areas, so in my efforts I had to make several setups that apply in different locations ( exterior, interior, caverns, etc.) in order to give the appearance that the view is the same in all locations.

I've never tried to create a thermal imaging view such as you see in the Predator movies. Causing living bodies to glow would be a challenge I think. All I can recommend is that you experiment until you find something that you like.

Yes it is possible to make power armor toggle something that looks like Night Vision.

You will need to experiment with Imagespace Modifiers in order to get the look that you want. I have found that one custom Imagespace Modifier does not give the same results in all areas, so in my efforts I had to make several setups that apply in different locations ( exterior, interior, caverns, etc.) in order to give the appearance that the view is the same in all locations.

I've never tried to create a thermal imaging view such as you see in the Predator movies. Causing living bodies to glow would be a challenge I think. All I can recommend is that you experiment until you find something that you like.

Erm, sorry, but as I said, I am a noob at modding.. Is an ImageSpace Modifier a script, or a program or?.. If I could get some information on what exactly they are, it would be a big help!

If you open the GECK and look at the list of things in the Object Window, you will see Imagespace and Imagespace Modifier listed under Special Effects. An Imagespace is the lighting that you see when you are in a particlar area, like the Wasteland during the daytime. An Imagespace Modifier is something that modifies that lighting, like when your character is thumped on the head, or when you are in a dark subway and are using NV goggles that brighten everything up with a greenish light.

I'm not sure if there are any tutorials that apply to Imagespace Modifiers, but you might do a search for some.

I created a power suit with a helmet that toggles color "nightvision" in my mod "Return to Shady Sands". If you would like, you are welcome to download it, see what I have done, experiment and modify the Imagespace Modifiers, scripts or any other part for your own purposes. I suspect that there are better and more versatile NV mods out there, but mine does have the advantage that it does not require the use of Fallout Script Extender, which means that there is less for you to learn right off the bat. Maybe when you are farther along with your skills you could learn FOSE to make a more sophisticated version.

On the thermal vision part: Way too hard for a first mod. You would need some serious scripting with FOSE scripts that add a token for every living Actor around you, that will "light" them up using a specifically tailored light.

For the Imagespace Modifiers: Look in GECK from Special Effects - Imagespace Modifiers. It's a good place to start :)

As for making a toggle for the Night Vision: Scripted "token" item that you can put into a quick slot that has the script tied to it, using OnActivate. The Script would need to check from a list if the armor worn is a Power Armor, or use the FOSE function IsPowerArmor. Ofcourse you could make a part of the Script check for a keypress, assigned to the NVG toggle, thus not needing the token.

I hope that helps and doesn't discourage you :)

I figured it would be extremely hard, I was more just wondering if it was even possible :P

So I've created the NVG effect in GECK, how would I go about applying it to the armor? And making it a button-press toggle, or maybe something that automatically switches on after it gets dark, or you enter a dark area? Whichever would be easier, and won't require FOSE yet ;P

I think the "detection" of darkness works only for outside areas by using GameHour, but to really detect darkness, I have no idea if it's even possible, as every possible place and space you see is using somekind of an ImageSpace Modifier, otherwise it would be a completely black screen. I think this is the case for "night" effect too, as creatures and other Actors are not affected by it at all in vanilla game.

So go with a toggle :)

As for implementing the NVG Effect into an object (like Power Armor), you can find examples on this site. There are a lot of NVG mods, some with activator "tokens" some without.

Just a friendly advice: The more you have to do research on things yourself, the better you become as a modder :) It is the hard way, but the way I do things myself :)