Invisible chest when wearing a retextured vest mod.

shera

The vest and the "skin" under the vest is invisible (the rest of the chest is visible). The mod doesn't require any body type, and none are installed. I tried it with the UAC disabled and enabled. It still doesn't work. I redownloaded the mod, and it is still invisible. I have tried everything I can think of. Any other ideas would be very appreciated.

Can you post a screenshot so we can see the issue firsthand? (or second hand, as the case may be :tongue: )

I tried to take a screenshot but can't find it. I changed "bAllowScreenShot=0" to "bAllowScreenShot=1", saved it and exited the notepad. I took the screenshot during the game (the words came up that the screenshot was taken), but I can't find the screenshot anywhere on my computer. I have windows vista. :huh:

It's in your Oblivion Folder. Just outside the data folder.

I will check out the mod myself tomorrow.

I tried to take a screenshot but can't find it. I changed "bAllowScreenShot=0" to "bAllowScreenShot=1", saved it and exited the notepad. I took the screenshot during the game (the words came up that the screenshot was taken), but I can't find the screenshot anywhere on my computer. I have windows vista. :huh:

According to the CS Wiki:

Vista Users will commonly find themselves unable to find their captured screenshots. The Solution will require you to restart your computer. Firstly, click on the start button and enter the control panel. Then click on the user accounts and family settings. Then click on user settings and you will be displayed a number of options. Click on turn user account control on or off and lastly tick the box off saying "use user account control." After restarting the computer, you will be able to make screenshots that will appear in the main oblivion directory! For "safety" reasons tick the UAC box back on after you are finished.

Okay Shera, I think I figured out your problem.

I too get the invisible vest with a chopped up chest mesh showing. (We didn't know what you were talking about because of how you worded it, but here's what I saw at least: The chest mesh is visible, but the vest is not. The reason parts are invisible is because faces have been deleted from the chest mesh. If you're not a 3D Modeler, it's hard to describe this. The mesh is made of many triangular "faces". The ones that would be hidden behind the vest were deleted from the model. That's what you see when it looks like an "invisible vest". Let me guess, the invisible parts had jagged edges, didn't they? Those are where faces were deleted from the chest.)

I opened up the shirt03ADW.nif file in NifSkope and looked at the texture path of the vest mesh. Sure enough, it is in fact routed badly. This is not your fault, it's the fault of the mod's author.

Normally, the texture path should begin with textures/ and then go from there. Oblivion knows to start at your Data folder, so it's not a problem that it isn't a full path.

However, this mod has the texture path start at C:/ and then run through the entire folder path to the texture file. This folder path, at least on my computer, is different than the one where I installed the game. Therefore, the game is looking at that full path, which leads directly to a big fat no texture file.

The chest (or what's left of it) shows up because the game knows where to look for that texture.

So, what directory did you install the game in? If you followed people's good advice and installed it outside the Program Files directory, then that's the problem, as the folder path for the vest texture leads right through the Program Files. Here's the folder path for the vest texture is it appears in Nifskope:

c:\program files\bethesda softworks\oblivion\data\textures\clothes\lowerclass\shirt03adw.dds

FAIL

It should read:

textures\clothes\lowerclass\shirt03adw.dds

since the game looks in it's own Data folder automatically, no matter where you installed the game.

I made the above change in NifSkope, and I can now see the vest, as it should appear.

If, on the other hand, you installed Oblivion to the exact location that's above FAIL, then I don't know what to tell you. I certainly didn't install it to that location. If you saw it before, you must have installed it to that location. If can't see it now, that's the first thing I would guess. You installed the game to a different location, which was the right thing to do.

PM me your email, and I'll send you the corrected mesh for the vest. Or you could make the change in NifSkope if you know how. It's easy to overlook that mistake. I actually deleted the mod from my computer and was about to push Empty the Recycle Bin when I thought, "Wait, I wonder if...."

Okay Shera, I think I figured out your problem.

I too get the invisible vest with a chopped up chest mesh showing. (We didn't know what you were talking about because of how you worded it, but here's what I saw at least: The chest mesh is visible, but the vest is not. The reason parts are invisible is because faces have been deleted from the chest mesh. If you're not a 3D Modeler, it's hard to describe this. The mesh is made of many triangular "faces". The ones that would be hidden behind the vest were deleted from the model. That's what you see when it looks like an "invisible vest". Let me guess, the invisible parts had jagged edges, didn't they? Those are where faces were deleted from the chest.)

I opened up the shirt03ADW.nif file in NifSkope and looked at the texture path of the vest mesh. Sure enough, it is in fact routed badly. This is not your fault, it's the fault of the mod's author.

Normally, the texture path should begin with textures/ and then go from there. Oblivion knows to start at your Data folder, so it's not a problem that it isn't a full path.

However, this mod has the texture path start at C:/ and then run through the entire folder path to the texture file. This folder path, at least on my computer, is different than the one where I installed the game. Therefore, the game is looking at that full path, which leads directly to a big fat no texture file.

The chest (or what's left of it) shows up because the game knows where to look for that texture.

So, what directory did you install the game in? If you followed people's good advice and installed it outside the Program Files directory, then that's the problem, as the folder path for the vest texture leads right through the Program Files. Here's the folder path for the vest texture is it appears in Nifskope:

c:\program files\bethesda softworks\oblivion\data\textures\clothes\lowerclass\shirt03adw.dds

FAIL

It should read:

textures\clothes\lowerclass\shirt03adw.dds

since the game looks in it's own Data folder automatically, no matter where you installed the game.

I made the above change in NifSkope, and I can now see the vest, as it should appear.

If, on the other hand, you installed Oblivion to the exact location that's above FAIL, then I don't know what to tell you. I certainly didn't install it to that location. If you saw it before, you must have installed it to that location. If can't see it now, that's the first thing I would guess. You installed the game to a different location, which was the right thing to do.

PM me your email, and I'll send you the corrected mesh for the vest. Or you could make the change in NifSkope if you know how. It's easy to overlook that mistake. I actually deleted the mod from my computer and was about to push Empty the Recycle Bin when I thought, "Wait, I wonder if...."

Thanks so much for all of your help. I'll go ahead and pm you my email address. You are right, the invisible vest does have jagged ends. I really appreciate everything that you have done. :happy: