serious discussion about vehicles

dissentuk

so, i was playing the other day and started wondering why there is so little in the way of transport. what is it about the engine that is different to source, where you can create cars and hover things. im no expert but would it require a totally different engines or are there ways in which things can be improved apon in mods like hoverchair or the jx3 motorcycle.

obviously the lack of roads is a problem for conventional modes of transport but how hard would it be to adapt the hover chair into a series of racing pods like in the starwars films or somthing like that. allthough the motion is much to be desired, a simple reskinning would make it a much cooler machine.

i was curious so i thought i would try to encourage some debate about the subject.

Just stay off the highways and you'll do fine yes :P

The engine should allow for vehicle creation, at least I don't see any reason why it shouldn't. I personally wouldn't use one even if possible so I'm not too bothered, though a raider gang on motorcycles hunting you could be a nice touch, sorta like the Enclave Vertibirds dropping off troopers.

I don't think making a vehicle animate is the problem. I think the problem lies in how the player and followers would interact / sit /drive it. The combat system doesn't lend itself to being locked away inside a vehicle. NPCs tend to charge after enemies and sitting in a car wouldn't stop that from happening, and that aspect of the game is mostly hard-coded. We'd need a whole new combat system to allow for vehicles.

Could you fly atop of dragons in Oblivion? I saw a vid once with an oblivion character riding on a flying dragon. But that could have just been just one person's mastery of creating animations. And there were no extra passengers or combat situations in the vid I saw.

There is a transport mod in Oblivion that lets you travel in a horse-drawn carriage. The carrier navigates the roads between settlements for a fixed fee. It ought to be possible to do something along those lines in FO3.

There is a downside to having your own fast transport though, in that it makes the game world seem a lot smaller. I've got the hoverchair and it's a lot of fun to ride, but I'm tending not to use it that much for serious travel, as opposed to recreation.

it is to fast. in a world gone bad i dont think such a thing should be so powerful. bassically, im sure it wont be long before some able person reskins the hoverchair into somthing more than a chair with rocket boosters and a bit less powerful, or im keping my fingers crossed.

I like the idea of transport in the game, just not motorized. I don't know if there is a back-story reason for there being no motorized transport in game, I like the thought that complex machines are considered a taboo...after all that's what got the world in the state it's in. I take the approach that technology is only considered good if it is required for survival.

Horses in Oblivion worked fairly well and it shouldn't be hard to transfer the mechanics of it to a Brahmin...that would be enough to reduce the speed to faster than running, but not so fast that the world shrinks too much.

Combat from the back of the Brahmin would be tricky though, and stealth would be impossible, so maybe it would be enough to strike a balance.

the rideable creatures mod is pretty cool. i reckon a new animal faction of horses would be cool if it was incorporated with rideable creatures. one could even put a short quest about taming wild horses, opening channels for a person you can trade horses to. prehaps a contraption like the bloke in mad max road warrior has, a simple flying / gliding machine.