Helmet POV

schlangster

I would like to do a little advertising for my current project that aims to create 1st person POV overlays for helmets (as known from oblivion and morrowind), in a nutshell.

I started working on this 3 weeks ago and today I uploaded version alpha 0.2, so it's still a work in progress. While at first it was mainly a request-job to allow POVs for helmets, hence the name, the current implementation supports all types of headwear (helmets, masks, hats, eyewear), and much more than just overlays. Included is support for togglable vision modes (night vision, heat vision, EM vision), gas mask breathing sounds, visually indicated item condition to name a few things.

Here are a couple of videos to illustrate the concept (though these are of older versions):

Everything works script based, so these effects can be attached to any item (vanilla or mod added) as long as it uses the correct equipment slots, and individual effects can be configured for each item type.

Currently there are only 3 overlays, though a couple of new ones are being made.

Adding new overlays is actually a matter of placing the texture file in the appropriate folder and incrementing the number of overlays in an xml file, no plugin edits are necessary. So anyone who would like to create/add overlays himself can do so easily.

Ideas and planned features for future versions:

- Power source support for vison modes (like in FWE, when wearing only a PA helmet energy cells are consumed)

- environmental effects on visor (rain, snow, perspiration when it's hot)

- Audio feedback comparable to medic PA

- target scanner/lock on

- toggleable map that gets displayed on the visor showing enemies

- better head movement with real support for off-screen image parts

What I'm looking for:

- Testing/feedback of the current version

- New ideas (though I already got plenty in the idea-queue :))

- More overlays

- High-quality artwork in general

Get the current version here:

Download Link

Ok next try :)

Here's a new video showing support for off-screen parts of the overlay that are moved in when turning:

What I'm currently looking for is someone who could help me out with some explosion effects.

The video shows a flash bang explosion (currently a placeholder) that is started shortly after the EMP burst of pulse grenades. Instead of this placeholder I would like to have a yellow cloud with some particles flying around, or basically anything that looks plausible for an EMP explosion while in EM detection mode.

The same is needed for ordinary explosions: A red cloud that's displayed 1-2 seconds longer than the explosion itself to show it's heat signature.

I already tried it myself by recoloring and merging some existing effects, but I wasn't very satisfied with the results.

Those are really awesome man! I don't know how to make weapon effects or anything. I could try to make overlays. By overlays you the different helmet views right?

Yes, the helmet views. Most (actually all) of the existing overlays are flat, which doesnt really exploit the fact that you can look left and right. If you were able to create something that gives an idea of perspective, and probably a better effect around the edges of the visor, it would be cool.

This is sort of tangentially related, but what's the interface mod you're using that shows the time/hunger/thirst/sleep and the like? If it's compatible with Survival of the Fittest I would love to use that (Even if it's not, I could probably modify it pretty easily to make it compatible, it's just variables).

This is sort of tangentially related, but what's the interface mod you're using that shows the time/hunger/thirst/sleep and the like? If it's compatible with Survival of the Fittest I would love to use that (Even if it's not, I could probably modify it pretty easily to make it compatible, it's just variables).

The basic interface elements are added by DarN UI, the mod using them is FWE. I don't know about compatibility, but if you want to create a patch yourself you could look at this for reference: http://fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=11329

Dude I love how they glow red. That is so awesome.

I'm not too fond of the static effects though. Perhaps you could increase the animation speed and change the color of it.

Also, the overlay that you showed could use some work. The grey outline isn't really doing it for me and it doesn't really "look" like it's in front of your face. Notice how the scope is darker and green around the edges, and the edges aren't hard?

I'm curious, are the overlays going to be applied when you put on the helmet, or are they applied through the menu?

Dude I love how they glow red. That is so awesome.

I'm not too fond of the static effects though. I think it would be better to just have a flash or something.

Also, the overlay that you showed could use some work. The grey outline isn't really doing it for me and it doesn't really "look" like it's in front of your face. Notice how the scope is darker and green around the edges, and the edges aren't hard?

I'm curious, are the overlays going to be applied when you put on the helmet, or are they applied through the menu?

At the moment:

1. Put on a helmet

2. Select overlay/vision effect (colors)/features (breathing, special vision modes etc), and close the menu

All settings then are saved for this specific helmet type (and by type i mean for example all BoS PA helmets, not THIS specific helmet), and whenever you equip a BoS PA helmet all effects will be applied again. When you equip another helm with different settings, those will be applied, and without a helmet everything is removed.

In the final version helmets will already have pre-assigned default configurations, but since Im still adding features it doesnt make much sense to do that yet.

About the static effects, I will make them optional sooner or later, simply because of performance reasons, but I think they're cool :) Have you checked them out ingame? Maybe in the videos it looks a bit too extreme.

Regarding the overlay, were you referring to this one: screen (ignore the red meter I was experimenting). Can you elaborate again where the problems were? (Btw, I know that generally it could look much better, that's why I was asking for help)

Those are really awesome man! I don't know how to make weapon effects or anything. I could try to make overlays. By overlays you the different helmet views right?

Yes, the helmet views. Most (actually all) of the existing overlays are flat, which doesnt really exploit the fact that you can look left and right. If you were able to create something that gives an idea of perspective, and probably a better effect around the edges of the visor, it would be cool.

It sounds like it would need to be an actual 3D model applied over the face. I don't use blender or anything like that so I can't help you there.

Ugh.

It needs FOSE to run, which needs me to patch my game, which I can't be bothered to do.

Since I can't get the stupid NVIDIA exporter to stop generating it as a normal map, here is the color map and alpha map.

Color

Alpha

It might look better with a completely black colormap, but I can't test it.

Also, it's very obvious that you used Photoshop's texturizer filter with the brick texture to make up your overlay's screen.