Popular, or even "Needed" mods?

Jenrai

Having finally got my Oblivion Install to just about where I want it, I'ma start work on my FO3 Install real soon. I've completed the vanilla game, and love it almost as much as I do Oblivion, however, I'm 110% new to the mods for it.

I guess what I'm asking for is a kinda "newbie" guide to the much needed FO3 mods. Example:

Which are the best supported body mods (male and female)? Don't worry if they are adult versions... I'm old enough, I promise. heh heh.

What utilities are a must have? (example; For Oblivion, OBSE, Wrye Bash, OBMM, etc etc... I already DLed FOMM)

What are the best modded quests? (Yeah yeah... check the endorsements... I know - not the answer I'm looking for, partially because I'm not a huge fan of that, or any rating system, but mostly because I'm expecting the best stuff to be real "diamonds in the rough" - little known mods, particularly quests. At least thats what I found when I first started modding Oblivion... damn, that feels like a long, long time ago.)

Do I need a patch? I have the GotY edition, but remember the confusion with Oblivion's GotY... so, do I?

Stuff like that. Thanks in advance guys n' gals.

Jenrai

PS - I know there's bound to be other posts like this knocking around, but its 1:30am and I'm drained, so please forgive me if I overlooked a smackingly obvious one that was staring me in the face.

The Cube Experimental indeed! :wub:

As for gameplay overhauls, I'm a big fan of Arwen's Realism Tweaks. It makes the game a lot more challenging and adds some unique features. I'm sure someone will come along mentioning the ever popular FWE too, which I haven't tried but alters similar things. They are not compatible so you'll have to pick one. FWE has many mods integrated into it (including an aspect from Arwen's mod) while Arwen's mod is a more specific and modular set of tweaks.

Neither are 'needed', but if you're looking for a change in gameplay they can definitely give you that.

I couldn't possible live without GNR - More Where That Came From

Marts Mutant Mod for a larger variety of enemies!

Fallout 3 Re-Animated: Replaces many of Fallout 3's animations with (IMO) better ones.

DCInteriors

Weapon Mod Kits: Upgrade your weapons!

Fellout: Great weather mod

Project Beauty HD makes the faces of NPCs more realistic and with the right proportions. It's not about making everyone pretty, but fitting to the Fallout world and their own personality.

DLC Refurbish

Primary Needs + Real Injuries + Patch. I believe these are integrated in FWE. They are also compatible and recommended with Arwen's Realism Tweaks.

Oh and the Fallout Stutter Remover!

Mart's Mutant Mods is a must, it makes the mutants truly worthy opponents and adds variety and difficulty to lots of other enemies as well. It also makes it nearly impossible to just burn through the little mission to save Initiate Pek, because the Brotherhood guys get annihilated and there is almost nothing you can do about it but hope they hide while you fight.

FOOK2 adds lots of great classic fallout weapons and other interesting real-world and a couple of made-up weapons, while CALIBR is needed if you are going to add weapons that take other ammunition to the game.

Weapon Mod Kits is a great one too.

i recommend to use FWE + MMM + WMK + EVE.

don't use FOOK2 yet, because it is not yet compatible with those mods. but it probably will be soon.

FOOK2 1.0 (the current version) IS compatible with WMK, MMM and EVE. The FWE - FOOK2 Merger isn't a "real" compatibility patch though, so it "is" compatible, but mostly its a compromise between the two mods.