Mods for X-Box--Why don't they exist

Blitzkrieg3801

First off, I'd like to say that I REALLY like the new forums. They're mighty purty.

Now to the brief substance.

Does anybody know WHY people can't make mods for the X-Box 360? Cause the 360's engine is a lot better than any computor unless you wanna go out and spend crazy amounts on the high-end gaming comps... Cause if you think about it, the X-Box live market place could easily hold a place for mods to put on to the X-Box, and it would be pretty simple (I imagine--I have no REALY idea about any of this) to make an engine to manage your mods within the 360...

Well, that's my question of the week.

Thanks all.

Blitz

an xbox has no mods due to lack of support, the with the xbox 360 version, microsoft holds all of the rights for the game, and one of microsofts policies is that the is no modded content on their games "they consider this hacking, pirating, whatever" now, this also would make microsoft give out a way to add modded content to the console, which could lead to other games being hacked. also they dont want mods due to lets say "prohibited content" being added. now finally you may ask your self, but wait borderlands has mods, not tru in microsofts eyes they consider this dlc, because it uses in game content, if you mod it yourself you will realize that you just add different ingame parts to create a new weapon

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sorry, but Microsoft really needs to quit spewing poo like this. Oblivion was made for Microsoft OS', and telling us that mods for the 360 are so completely different from those on the computer that we can't make mods is a huge pack of bull crap. All this does is make people pirate more. Logic -> I have a 360 and oblivion for said 360. i also have a computer. I'm not shelling out another 80 f***ing dollars or so to get the game and its dlc for the computer so i can mod it. Hey, i have an idea, why don't I just pirate it? I've already paid for the game, so it's not like they lose anything, and if the pirated version breaks i always have my xbox... See where I'm going? Right. by avoiding "piracy" they encourage real piracy.

Why? Because they want those who bought the console version to buy both. $60 for the GOTY version for PC is less than another X-Box game, and has the added bonus of being able to use mods. The reason why Piracy isn't an option is rather simple.

http://thenexusforums.com/index.php?showtopic=195664&pid=1705327&st=0entry1705327

We ban pirates and anyone who suggests piracy is a good alternative to buying the game. Not only that, but most illegally downloaded versions of games contain either malware or are not fully working, as is intentional. So all you're doing is opening yourself up to many other problems that can cost you much more than you would have spent if you had just bought said game. It's rather simple... Just don't do it.

- Vagrant0

Edited by Vagrant0

As for the reason why the Xbox doesn't have mods, it's really more simple than that. The hardware can't handle all of that extra data. An Xbox, even a 360 elite, only has about as good of hardware as a store-bought $500 computer (2ghz processor, 128mb memorycard, 512mb RAM). The reason why it can perform a bit better than your standard desktop is because it's highly specialized for playing games, and has next to nothing other than that game running and using resources... The game itself needs nearly all of this to even work, and even has several background changes present to streamline things. Meaning that there is almost no resources available for mods. DLC content is extremely small compared to many of the mods out there, and none of the DLC content contains the sort of global scripts (can slow things down) which are present in most mods.

There is also a legal factor. Mod content cannot be verified by Microsoft as being safe for their system, Bethsoft can't even fix their own game, so they can't legally allow the use of unofficial content because it may cause damage to the system. As is Xbox's seem to RRoD at the drop of a hat, even the newer ones. Meaning that it's better for them to just invalidate warranties and ban you from the network than take the chance that you're going to demand a repair/refund for a system that breaks because of unauthorized content. If it's possible to make a mod which can actually break a PC, it's possible to do the same for an Xbox, and often much easier since Xbox users aren't as wary of bad content (for obvious reasons).