The Right to Bear Arms

Aurielius

And perhaps one last aspect; pouvertry. Why do people steal, murder, plunder at all. I know this is not all of it, but biased social welfare plays a large role too. And know I am way off topic, I know, and maybe not, because the issues go together hand in hand.

You certainly have a point in there...

And this current government of ours too, has someting to do with it.

Well, I can't blame everything to them. But some way or the other they play a vital role in most of our people's poverty.

Don't worry we're not off topic, I think. :biggrin:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is indeed a valid point *Bows to Balagor and Christine*. However, I work with the long term unemployed, people who have been claiming State benefit for more than a year. I have to try and find them a job. Most of them are bone idle and don't want one. On the other hand, MOST of them are very unlikely to go out and commit armed robbery - why take the risk, when the generous British taxpayer is subsidising them? I say MOST, because I know one of my clients had just come out of a long stretch in prison for armed robbery, prior to signing on the dole and eventually ending up at my office. So in the UK, being an armed robber and thug tends to be a specific career choice, almost. By some inverted kind of morality, these armed robbers feel superior to the people on the dole because they are not taking taxpayer money legally....go figure. They enjoy their tough guy image, too.

BUT, it is true to say that there are some countries in the world where the poverty and inequality might be such as to drive the desperate to such armed robberies. It does not excuse such robberies, nevertheless. The threatened householder would not necessarily be interested in whether the person waving the gun was desperate or not. I know I would not stop to ask before reaching for my own weapon...if I was allowed to have one that isn't locked up...

We had an episode on the news a few weeks back about a thwarted burglary. The man broke into a man's apartment, the victim (TRUE VIc, not the man that was injured. the vic of the CRIME) defended his property with a SAMURAI SWORD and put the criminal into intensive care by stabbing him twice.

When I first moved back to Pennsylvania in the late 70's we were still amid packing clutter when there was an individual trying to break into our new home. Though I had three firearms in house, but at 3 am in the morning I could not match ammunition with the appropriate weapon in time. The only functional means of defence was my father in law's (Scots Guards) infantry officer's saber hanging on the wall..... so that's what was used. It was a lesson I never forgot, being armed is one thing , being properly prepared is another. Though the look on his face was priceless. For the record the biker/thug survived to be detained and subsequently prosecuted for Felony Breaking and Entering, he was armed at the time, just not prepared for an off the wall defence. The police on the scene were almost in hysterics over my choice of weapons.

We had an episode on the news a few weeks back about a thwarted burglary. The man broke into a man's apartment, the victim (TRUE VIc, not the man that was injured. the vic of the CRIME) defended his property with a SAMURAI SWORD and put the criminal into intensive care by stabbing him twice.

When I first moved back to Pennsylvania in the late 70's we were still amid packing clutter when there was an individual trying to break into our new home. Though I had three firearms in house, but at 3 am in the morning I could not match ammunition with the appropriate weapon in time. The only functional means of defence was my father in law's (Scots Guards) infantry officer's saber hanging on the wall..... so that's what was used. It was a lesson I never forgot, being armed is one thing , being properly prepared is another. Though the look on his face was priceless. For the record the biker/thug survived to be detained and subsequently prosecuted for Felony Breaking and Entering, he was armed at the time, just not prepared for an off the wall defence. The police on the scene were almost in hysterics over my choice of weapons.

LOL, good story, and I am also awaiting the outcome of "Wolf´s" story with the samurai sword. Even this kind of defense is not legal in DK. I have a copy of Aragon´s dagger, from Lord of The Rings, purchased in US. It´s a true copy, and very sharp. Guess what, I have a weapon license for it, and I am not allowed to take it outside my house without a special permission. To get that, I must justify that I am going to an exhibitition, for example. Then I can carry the dagger, in it´s sheath and then in it´s original box. Fail to follow the rules, and I will loose my license. It hangs on my wall in my home. If I use it for self defense against a buglar, I will loose my license. If I use a kitchen knife at the same size, I will have no problems, as long as the buglar is more heavily armed than me :blink: .

Indeed, it seems that in our countries, Balagor, we must give the criminal a fair chance to kill us first, before we can be justified in using a weapon against him or her. Just in case we hurt the little darlings. Of course, if they succeed in killing us, that's our bad luck. It's ludicrous. If some person trespasses with the intent to rob, assault or kill, then if the householder gives them both barrels, I would say TOUGH LUCK, FOOL!

I truly hate to disappoint, Bal.... but that is the end of the story. Like I said, there wasnt anything else about it. It hasnt made any further news.

Wow, I cant believe how much different things are in other parts of the world. Things that we take for granted, here. Tho, some things are somewhat similar. A switchblade for example is illegal to sell, or carry, here in the state that I live in. But yet, you can keep one in your home as a "collector's item". :confused:

It is also true that here, for the MOST part, in order to an act of self defense which could be life-threatening.... in many cases you have to actually PROVE that you had no option to flee, that you felt that you, or another's health was being threatened, and that your action wasn't aggrivated. In other words, you didnt provoke them into attacking you.

it is very true tho, that when gun control goes too far, only the criminals have guns. Such as some of the smaller countries where the gangs commit open car jacking at gunpoint. These weapons are not legally owned. The owners are shot, hurt, or killed, without any legal ability to defend themselves in kind. (Not that I would recommend trying to pull a gun on several armed men that have weapons pointed at you, but the point remains).

I agree ginny. if a person comes into another persons property with ill intent, then they should not only be prepared to take take their life into their own hands, but should face that possibility. Such laws make the victim the criminal, instead of the perpetrator.

This one is really good. Your dog can be a "weapon" too. I checked the law. Actually if my dog hurts a burglar while i am not at home ( because a goog doggie defends his home) I will have to pay a large compensation to the burglar. My dog should be leashed, so it can not hurt people, in my own home, and those getting hurt are forcing acces to my home.

I have allways laughed a little of American lawyers who can help getting million dollar compensations, if you hurt your little finger nail. :biggrin: Wonder if they can beat this one. :tongue:

EDIT:: I have a link for the dog law, but it is in Danish. It can be translated with Google. If someone insists, I will post the link.

And here goes my idea about getting a male Lion (I love cats) to watch the house :woot:

Maybe i'm just naive, but I think of it like this:

You could only be intimidated by the idea of law abiding(and other-wise moral) citizens owning guns if you were one of 2 things. Either a tyrant looking to oppress those citizens. OR if you were a criminal looking to victimize them.

If your not either one of those then you've got nothing to fear from decent and moral people owning weapons.

Simple, I know, but that's how I see it.

Maybe i'm just naive, but I think of it like this:

You could only be intimidated by the idea of law abiding(and other-wise moral) citizens owning guns if you were one of 2 things. Either a tyrant looking to oppress those citizens. OR if you were a criminal looking to victimize them.

If your not either one of those then you've got nothing to fear from decent and moral people owning weapons.

Simple, I know, but that's how I see it.

Simple, but beautifully accurate. :thumbsup:

I'm not a gun owner myself (excluding a few antiques). However, as far as I am concerned it is my right as an American to bear arms if I so desire. Should I never chose to exercise that right, that is my choice. That does not mean it ought to be taken away from me though.

This one is really good. Your dog can be a "weapon" too. I checked the law. Actually if my dog hurts a burglar while i am not at home ( because a goog doggie defends his home) I will have to pay a large compensation to the burglar. My dog should be leashed, so it can not hurt people, in my own home, and those getting hurt are forcing acces to my home

That's absolutely ridiculous Balagor. Luckily, I live in a state with a strong Castle Law. Basically, if someone breaks into my home, I have every right to defend myself.