Mod Contest

LordWushin

I have done contests at other site before, but really small and minute. Also did some with friend in my town. Contests help us to be and do better, do things we never knew we could. I think I have worked out all the rules and process to victory, adapted to our large community.

One question tho, what do you think of this idea?

I would like to know if people would be willing to do this. It would be fun! If you like the idea tell me. I would like some 20 people at least in order to start well, maybe 10. I will post rules and the process to victory, as I call it, after seeing what others think first.

If you had a contest, it might be good to have it for a very narrow category like "best dungeon." There are so many categories, that is it hard to compare them. Like which of these three is the best mod? (1) a tweak that can keep your game from crashing (2) a really large and challenging dungeon (3) a really cool-looking longsword

I have done contests at other site before, but really small and minute. Also did some with friend in my town. Contests help us to be and do better, do things we never knew we could. I think I have worked out all the rules and process to victory, adapted to our large community.

One question tho, what do you think of this idea?

I would like to know if people would be willing to do this. It would be fun! If you like the idea tell me. I would like some 20 people at least in order to start well, maybe 10. I will post rules and the process to victory, as I call it, after seeing what others think first.

A contest would be great ! Get a lot of new modders to try their skills and get better and you might even get a ot of new good mods out of it

If you had a contest, it might be good to have it for a very narrow category like "best dungeon." There are so many categories, that is it hard to compare them. Like which of these three is the best mod? (1) a tweak that can keep your game from crashing (2) a really large and challenging dungeon (3) a really cool-looking longsword

That is a good idea! I was going to ask what a good category was out of these I had chosen:

weapons, armor, and magic(spells and visual effects)

new locations, lands, and landscapes

npc, gameplay, and miscellaneous

But that is broad too! Best dungeon, best fort, or best ruins would be a good selection now that I think about it. Which one everyone?

That is a good idea! I was going to ask what a good category was out of these I had chosen:

weapons, armor, and magic(spells and visual effects)

new locations, lands, and landscapes

npc, gameplay, and miscellaneous

But that is broad too! Best dungeon, best fort, or best ruins would be a good selection now that I think about it. Which one everyone?

Best dungeon would probably be the best choice

Will you be judging ? Is there any reward to winning ? Just some questions that peop;le might ask

Well, if you were to do such a thing... no weapons or armor, or anything visual. Learning to model something and texture it takes far longer than learning your way around the CS. Having a contest open to the broadest base of modders is the best choice...

I'm usually against contests, but at least this one doesn't seem to be from an egoistic requester/player which they usually are. A good contest I've seen before was 'The Oubliette'. That was a Halloween mod with several parts/rooms that were merged to one single mod, people that downloaded it would vote on the rooms/modders. Something I think that might be more fitting if you put 10 people to work. No offense, but if you have the slightest preference to one of the subjects (everyone has that) you'll not be really objective in the end.

I'm not sure where you'll getting 10-20 people from 'to start with'. It's a busy forum, but 10 is the best you'll get :biggrin:.

As what Khet said, it's fair to keep everything open to everyone. And as tesnexus didn't had any contests for at least a year, it might be better to keep things 'simple', open and easy to access. I think it might be best to start a poll/vote on this after a few suggestions have been made on how to make this contest easy to compare.

@ alonsomartinez Icon

Judging would be based on the amount of endorsements and comments you get. If we do this contest, good endorsements are good! Bad endorsements are counted against the good one's. Also, with each endorsement their must be a comment to describe why, this allows for concise grading in the end. So no I would not be judge per say.

As for rewards, knowing that you did best is a good reward, yes! It really is hard to do a worth while reward through the internet, except the title and respect more or less. :sweat: If someone has a better alternative, pm me.

@ Khet

Right! re-texturing is long and hard, we better not. Good observation!

@ Pronam

I modded with MW back in the day, but I was horrible! Since Oblivion, I still change this for myself, but I mainly test beta mods and other new mods and give endorsements on them, tell if their is something hugely wrong or out of order, you get the idea.

Now, what would be the most narrow yet broad base that we could do? I lean towards the earlier suggestions of dungeons. But ruins and forts would be another option too I think. All three are very similar is essence really, right?

Keep the questions coming, this is good! Also say what you would like about a suggestion.