3ds Max.. why so hated??

eXoduis

i dont think i can afford to pay a recent max!!! and if they develop one every year?? yeah... you said it might as well be a hater!

Well, the good news is that you don't. The only reason why I use it in school is because they have to validate their yearly budgets somehow and want to keep the impression of offering "up to date" teaching so that the 1% of companies which have enough money to blow on new versions of products can find people who are able to use them. The irony is that most companies are using versions that they've had for several years now, which often lacks some of the features and changes new people are being taught. I actually had to turn down a potential job because the version of autoCAD (another autodesk product which has frequent releases) was too old to use for what they wanted me to do on it (circa 1998, on a P1 w95 system). So it's not like there's some big push to always have things with the most recent version of things.

I use 3dsmax 8 at home because, like you, I can't afford to upgrade and really have no reason to. Both Max 6 and max 8 should be perfectly capable of doing anything you need to do for Oblivion. Technically, Max 2 could do everything you need to do for Oblivion (if you had working plugins). This is just as well since I believe more recent versions of 3dsmax is not even supported by the niftools exporter. Meaning that newer is not better in this case.

Edited by Vagrant0

There is a wip-plugin for 2010 for a while already (here), but you're right. Either you'll be taught with old material which lost its relevance, or you'll end up at a place where they are using older versions. I worry about all the people that have learned to use office 2007 and will see that they still use 2003 or lower at a lot of companies. Fun is, 2010 will be released soon, the same with 3ds max 11. Most regular companies will always use older software...

well ill make you a favor and wont say i checked the priced tag on max 10 ok?

and well thanks for the help! :D ill try my hand at both software then. :rolleyes: ill see which is most appealing