Geck crashes with new topic

Nadin

I'm learning how to make a radio using crow's tutorial for an up-and-coming young mod, and it's been fine up till now. When I add a new topic to the radio conversations list it's okay but when I add anything to the topic it freezes up and crashes.

I think I saw a thread about this a while ago but I couldn't find it.

I'm running vista, have FOSE enabled with the geck and have tried with both "radiohello" and "radiogoodbye"

Does it happen with any topic, or just radio? If it's any topic, I'm guessing that you have a realtek audio card, or no sound drivers installed at all. If the latter, get some. If the former, there are certain driver versions that have issues. Try updating (or rolling back) until it works. I have also heard that plugging in a mic can fix the problem but I have never tried that one.

Does it happen with any topic, or just radio? If it's any topic, I'm guessing that you have a realtek audio card, or no sound drivers installed at all. If the latter, get some. If the former, there are certain driver versions that have issues. Try updating (or rolling back) until it works. I have also heard that plugging in a mic can fix the problem but I have never tried that one.

I just disabled my Realtek chip and plugged in my old Sound Blaster two days ago to fix the problem myself. If plugging in a mic really does help, that should be written in big bold letters in a pinned post, as Realtek chips are very common. The realtek problem is so common, that it really should be mentioned in the pinned topics anyway, as digging it out with search for every user with the problem is just stupid... The bug is supposedly a problem only to Vista or Win 7 users, as XP has compatible drivers for Realtek chips.

the topic crash appears, because you can edit (and also record) new voice replies from the window that pops up when you doubleclick the topic reply window. So it's a sound bug, which you cannot know if you can't open the pop-up from where you could get a hint that voices are linked to the topic.

• 8 years later...