Everyone and Everything is Moving Slowly

zprospero

Well, I have no idea what caused it, but a while ago I noticed that every NPC, my char, and even the menu animations all slowed down for no apparent reason.

Even running with speed set to 255 and athletics set to 255 while in god mode, I still can barely manage a brisk walk.

I even uninstalled Oblivion, installed it in a different folder, and deleted/moved everything from my original folder (just in case something was linking back to that).

So, I have absolutely no mods installed, my graphics card is able to play Oblivion on the "Ultra High" setting normally, and, yes, I've tried lowering that it had no effect.

Any idea why this might be happening? I don't think it can be related to my graphics card as I can play other high graphics game no problem.

Well, I have no idea what caused it, but a while ago I noticed that every NPC, my char, and even the menu animations all slowed down for no apparent reason.

Even running with speed set to 255 and athletics set to 255 while in god mode, I still can barely manage a brisk walk.

I even uninstalled Oblivion, installed it in a different folder, and deleted/moved everything from my original folder (just in case something was linking back to that).

So, I have absolutely no mods installed, my graphics card is able to play Oblivion on the "Ultra High" setting normally, and, yes, I've tried lowering that it had no effect.

Any idea why this might be happening? I don't think it can be related to my graphics card as I can play other high graphics game no problem.

There is a little bug that occurs when you have put around 200 hours into the game. It sounds as though this might be happening to you. When it happens to me, the fires no longer flicker, doors and gates open and close for like 10 minutes each way and things in general slow down, animations wise.

There is a little program called Animation Fixer that might be what you're needing. You can find it here: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=5127

The description is pretty concise, so once you read it, I think you'll know whether this is your problem or not. I've had to use it about 3 times, lol I've got that many hours in. But it works like an absolute charm. You run it and your game is fixed. I hope that helps!

Good luck :smile:

There can also be a problem with a plugged in joystick/gamepad.

Altough I think that only slows your own character down, I'm not sure, and you can always try. Unplugging something isn't so much work anyway :happy:

This doesn't sound like the joystick problem or the stuck animation bug. It sound like something is stealing clock cycles in the background.

Any background process that runs steals some. But whatever this one is it keeps doing it. I saw something similar with the windows indexing - it's supposed to automatically stop when something else is being done, but sometimes it just decides that things on the hard drive must be indexed right now. it can take several hours. Or possibly an auto defrag that starts up whenever the hard drive is a certain percent fragmented. Or, a virus that is searching for some financial data to send home.

Here are my Slow Game suggestions

http://tesnexus.com/articles/article.php?id=255

• 2 months later...

I just now finally resolved this.

Apparently something I installed had messed with the .ini files in the Documents/My Games folder.

I renamed that folder to OblivionOld and created a new folder called Oblivion, which was empty.

I then restarted Oblivion which must have recreated the .ini files and started a new game to make sure it worked. It did.

I was then able to move my save-games over to a Documents/My Games/Saves folder and this problem is gone.

Apparently, it was some change to the .ini file which I could not pinpoint, but if anyone else encounters this problem, this method will fix it.

I'm using Vista, by the way, so the directory structure may be different on another OS.

Yep -- that fixed it. Thanks, and kudos to you for taking the trouble to post your solution.

Thing is, I should have cured this automatically with the re-install I did to try to fix it. I cleaned everything out of the machine but the oblivion.ini file (which was more than a little dumb in retrospect, but I was hung up on the video settings being the source of the problem).

Like you I have no clue as to what got changed in the ini, but I'd got to the point where I was going to give up on the game. No FPS drop but everything in slomo -- that was a head-scratcher.