Texture Editing

JPO81

Hey guys, I just have a quick question regarding editing existing vanilla objects...

I want to change some vanilla signs so that they say something else, and so far I don't think that's possible through texture editing, unless I'm missing something... so how do I do that?

Do I have to edit models? And is there a way to do that in Photoshop or no?

Yes, you can use Photoshop to edit textures for signs if you have the .dds plug-in for it. You don't need to change the model meshes, just the textures: diffuse, normal and in some cases the glow maps. You can create new sign texturesets for existing meshes that will make it unnecessary to copy the meshes for the retextures.

Try using the Search Forums function with words like texture, retexture, or textureset for previous threads on the matter. There are links to tutorials in the pinned threads also.

The one I use is called Photoshop_Plugins_8.23.1101.1715.exe this enables you to make and modify normal maps etc.

I find a sign the right size and shape in GECK then extract the dds file and use as a template for the new one.

Eh... just one more question if I may...

I've been reading all the guides I can get my hands on, and I'm doing ok on the actual retexturing and all but what all the guides seem to skip is the simple aspect of how to go about actually applying your custom texture to an object in the G.E.C.K. They all pretty much just say to apply it, but not how.

I'm simply just using Nifskope to locate the proper texture, editing that texture as a new .dds in Photoshop, creating a new texture set in G.E.C.K., including that edited texture and its Normal file in the proper fields, creating a new object copy of the object I want to retexture (in G.E.C.K.), but that's where I get confused as to how to actually point the object to the new texture. I probably need to back up and learn the fields available when editing an object in the G.E.C.K., and maybe it's wrong of me to assume that things are automatically intuitive to at least a reasonable degree, but I understand the entire retexture concept and how to do most of it but I'm not seeing the step to actually map the texture file to the object itself. Is this done on the texture end, or the object end? And which fields should be edited? None of the guides I've come across go into it, and I guess they assume the reader already knows.

Either I'm really missing something so retardedly obvious (A huge possibility) or I just haven't been pointed in the right direction so far.

NVM... I got it.

Anyway, I appreciate the time you guys have taken so far to help me out.

In any case, big ups for that and I love what you guys do. I can only hope that someday I'll be contributing to the betterment of this stuff too.