Minigun Sounds

Site Bot

Article link: Minigun Sounds

Well guys, when I don't like them I do my own sounds for weapons and for every of them I think I did a good job....except for one...the minigun! When you use a free tool like Audacity, the "loop region metadata" of the spin loop can't be read from Audacity (and probably a lot of base free sound programs) and when you save the new spin sound the game don't start it in game, or play it looping it entirely like a normal rifle shot....

I was going crazy because here on nexus the miniguns sounds are like...1...2?? and them didn't fit so much to my tastes so I searched and searched and finally I founded a fantastic tool!!!

With this tool called "Wavosaur" you can simply add loop metadata region opening the file and clicking on..."add loop"! You'll be able so to move the start and end line of the loop and when saving the game will recognise those damned metadata and ta-daaah! you have YOUR spin working on FO3 :D

The program is here and it's FREE: http://www.wavosaur.com/

You don't have to install it, you can just unzip the .exe (there's only 1 .exe file and a readme in the zip) on your desktop and click on it to open the program and edit sound files, It has a lot of functions and supports a lot of sound files, all is wrote on Wavosaur's site :)

I posted this article obviously for those people that actually don't know how to create a spin without get problems with metadata (like me 10 mins ago XD) and that probably are going mad :)

Really Really Really a lot of thanks to Wavosaur team for this beautiful free and easy-to-use program :)

IMPORTANT NOTE: The sound file of the spin must be MONO when you add the loop points, if you load a STEREO sound, add the loops and then load it in GECK, the GECK will not be able to read the metadata loop points. So convert the spin sound in mono before editing it and adding the loops, then save and use it in GECK :D

Good modding to everyone

Hector Shiroi

• 2 months later...

One... TEEEEEENY problem... it isn't working for me >_<.

In fact.... the program cannot even recognize its OWN loops! I set up a loop in the program, heck when I imported the minigun I saw the loop points. All good and all... I exported the sound... GECK didn't recognize the metadata.... I even extracted the minigun sound from the BSA itself and plugged it in... no go either O.o. And that is the wav from the game itself! It is obviously a problem with GECK.... do you have this issue!?

• 2 weeks later...
One... TEEEEEENY problem... it isn't working for me >_<.

In fact.... the program cannot even recognize its OWN loops! I set up a loop in the program, heck when I imported the minigun I saw the loop points. All good and all... I exported the sound... GECK didn't recognize the metadata.... I even extracted the minigun sound from the BSA itself and plugged it in... no go either O.o. And that is the wav from the game itself! It is obviously a problem with GECK.... do you have this issue!?

Well it's strange, I think I had this error too, all of the sounds I created with loops works fine except one, I checked it, the GECK recognized its loop points but in game the sound is bad and the loop doesn't start correctly, as you said the problem is of GECK; try to update GECK(if you have the old version) first and then try to re-save the file and check it multiple times with GECK

Discovered the problem! the file when edited (when you add the loop points) must be MONO and not STEREO, if not the GECK can't read the metadata points.

I think I wasn't too clear... I was a bit tired then. Basically what I meant was that I extracted the minigun sound from the original fallout files. I referenced it in the GECK and it gave me the error related to missing meta data. And this is basically a factory default sound! In fact... when I edit a looping sound such as changing it from envelope fast to loop and BACK to envelope fast... it gives me a metadata error! Now this COULD be because I have an older GECK... but I am not too sure. I redownloaded and they appeared to have the same version number. This isn't a HUGE problem right now since my loop sounds are kinda fine but if I want true perfection... this needs fixin...

Well GECK is a bad beast, crashing while you're working only because you clicked twice on "wpnAssaultRifle" for example and the error you report could be one of them, I didn't understand if you have the older or the newer version of GECK, anyway here's the link to the 1.5 directly from GECK's official site GECK 1.5 update

• 2 months later...