Need Suggestions For My Magic Mod

wilson212

I'm currently working on a magic mod that allows your Destruction Spells to scale based on the amount of points you put into Magicka, as well as a few other factors. I have run into a small issue though, and that is... What do i do with the Expert level spells that mimic their Apprentice counter parts? I've replaced the "Impact" perk with a new perk called "Incanter's Flow" which increases your spell damage (and reduces cost) by 10% for each destruction spell cast, stacking up to 3 times. I've considered using some kind of combo system, which would allow you to "spend" these incanter stacks on the Expert level spells, which would do considerably more damage then the apprentice spells... but i'm not sure if that's really balanced or not. Plus, having to tie spells into needing a perk to even be worth casting??

What are your opinions? I'm open to any and all suggestions :smile: . I just want magic to scale better then it does in vanilla, and I really believe I've developed a formula to do so, but the question remains... what should i do with the expert level spells?

That sounds interesting, building up to a more powerful spell. You could always balance it with an increased mana cost, so it takes a big chunk of magicka. The player would have to decide if the more powerful spell is worth casting to finish off a mob or two, or if they're better off conserving their magicka for a longer fight. I'm not much of a mage though (at least not in any playthroughs so far), so i'm not speaking from your mod's audience :p

What i have come up with so far (and have began coding) is this:

1. You build up your stacks of Incanter's Flow with your Adept and lower spells
  2. Expert and Master spells cannot be cast unless you have at least 1 stack of Incanter's flow
  3. As long as you have at least 1 stack, you can cast an Expert (missile) OR a master level spell, to consume the Stacks, providing a huge buff to the player
  • If used on an expert level spell, Damage is increased for your expert spells by 20% per stack, and Magicka cost reduced by 20% per stack as well for 5 seconds (burn phase)
  • If used on a Master level storm spell, Damage is increased (and cost reduced) by 20% per stack, and MAYBE reduce cast time by .5 seconds per stack (still thinking about this one)

Thats what i have so far. Your Adept and lower level spells will scale and will be a staple in your gameplay until the end of days, but they can be used to setup big bursts of damage using the Expert and Master level spells. All opinions and suggestions are welcome :D