Deadly trading in Caldera

ptbptb

So I'm in the Caldera mage guild, I buy 5 Alit hides, then sell them back, suddenly ...

"That Alit hide is mine!" "Die Scum!" "Your crime has been reported" "Your crime has been reported" ...

o_O;

Well, duh, it _was_ his - until he sold it to me.

Anyone come across this bug before?

[EDIT] OK, so reading the wiki it seems that if I ever stole any alit hide from the merchant then _all_ alit hide I have, for all time, will be marked as 'stolen' from him. Even if I had none in my inventory before I bought it from him. :-(

Anyone know a way to mark these items as _not_ stolen?

Edited by ptbptb

• 4 weeks later...

"Anyone know a way to mark these items as _not_ stolen?"

No, I don't - I imagine you'd have to open the merchant in the CS and unflag the items.

And the situation is worse than you thought - ALL merchants of that type will claim you stole that item from them.

eg. if you steal those tempting soulgems from the Mage's Guild in Balmora, you'll never be able to sell any soulgems of the type you stole to ANY Mage's Guild. - ALL of them will claim you stole it. (from them, no less)

I find it best (if I want to steal) to only steal from certain merchant types, and only sell to others - it keeps "misunderstandings" to a minimum.

I'm pretty sure that either the Code Patch or the Unofficial Patch fixes this, although I've never played a thief, so I've never put it to the test.

AzirAphale001 -

Thanks!

That's good to know - I guess I haven't tried to sell stolen goods to the one I took them from in so long that I never noticed that change.

I'll have to check it out. The loot in the Seyda Neen tavern storage area adds a bit to a nice get-started purse, but is too heavy to carry far.