Re-skin problem

EIektra

Hi!

I have been following tutorials and extracted DDS files from the game. But whenever I open the DDS files whether by GIMP or a DDS Converter, it shows a blank image =O

I've tried using the toolset, as well as DATool to extract it. I can modify already-made skins developed by modders but I can't modify the original DDS files from the game themselves. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Hi!

I have been following tutorials and extracted DDS files from the game. But whenever I open the DDS files whether by GIMP or a DDS Converter, it shows a blank image =O

I've tried using the toolset, as well as DATool to extract it. I can modify already-made skins developed by modders but I can't modify the original DDS files from the game themselves. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

A lot of the textures, diffuse maps especially, have completely transparent alpha channels since that data gets ignored by the engine. In the GIMP, click on the channels tab and select just the alpha channel, then fill it with white, to get a completely opaque image. (This will be true whether you are opening the DDS directly or opening a converted TGA). Also in the GIMP, you can use Colours->Components->Decompose to split the channel data into grayscale layers (and later compose/recompose to create channel data out of grayscale layers), which is particularly handy when working with specular/normal maps.