Too many Mods

slemo

...Just have a quick question...Why does Oblivion crash if it has more than 6 or 7 mods ticked on at a time? Is there a fix? Or is it just Oblivion itself where it can not manage itself with so many things modifying or adding information to the game. I mean I play Gmod (hopefully you know what it is) and have almost 17 GB in just that game, and I have no problems with it. Then again its a different engine and all that mumbo jumbo, but still. I would like to know if theres a way to fix this. Because I am just tired of having to choose which mods I want on when I play Oblivion.

Uuuhm... I'm playing with 106 mods active o_O so 6 or 7 ... there's something wrong with your game

I'd recommend installing and using OBMM, wyre bash, UOP (+ SI version of you have SI) BOSS, and OBSE

Just run your load order through these programs, they can probably tell you whats wrong

Uuuhm... I'm playing with 106 mods active o_O so 6 or 7 ... there's something wrong with your game

I'd recommend installing and using OBMM, wyre bash, UOP (+ SI version of you have SI) BOSS, and OBSE

Just run your load order through these programs, they can probably tell you whats wrong

So your saying I should install All of the mods? I have OBMM and OBSE, but not Wyrebash or UOP.

Also how to I choose my load order?

when you open OBMM you can see you load order on the left side of the window. You can change load order by clicking a mod and then move up or move down on the lower left corner of the OBMM window. Did it start to crash after installing a mod? Which mods do you run when Oblivion crashes?

Unfortunately, Oblivion is actually notoriously unstable, even unmodded, due in no small part to the fact Bethesda rushed it out to make it an XBox 360 release title. Also the facf that it seems it was originally coded for the 360 and not the PC doesn't help matters. So when you start adding mods, chances are its only going to get worse. But there are things you can do about it.

For one, make sure you're running version 1.20416 of the game (the newest version)

Then get BOSS (Better Oblivion Sorting Software) and that'll do your load order fixing for you - Be aware its not perfect but hey, its "wot we got"...

The UOP (Unofficial Oblivion Patch) is a mod that fixes countless glitches and bugs within the game that Beth never got around to addressing.

Wrye Bash is a very handy, but also very complex utility - read the home page - I can't play without it because I use FCOM but if you're not overly experienced with Mods & modding Bash will seem daunting at first.

Hate to be the barer of bad news but if crashes and CTDs are so frequent its making the game unplayable for you the chances are your install or one of your mods is broken.

Including my merged mods (mainly armour, clothing & weapons, but also some quests and all the Unique Landscapes patches merged to the original UL mods that they patch) I'd guess I'm easilly running some 300+ mods, with the actual number of ESPs & ESMs hovering around the 240 mark right now. And I use FCOM. I do suffer from occassional CTDs and a little instability, but generally if I play it for 6 hours it will maybe crash once. Whilst I do have a top of the line system which no doubt helps, if it was all that bad I'm almost certain it would never even start the way I have it built, so it is possible to run the game REALLY heavily modded. heh heh.

I have no bloody idea why I indented half this post. Ho hum. Makes it look like I know what I blabbering on about. :)

Good luck.

Jenrai

Thanks guys. I know Oblivion is very unstable, I've been playing since release, and modding it since right after my first play through. Though I just decided to ask why it crashed with only 6 mods, and THANK YOU SO MUCH! I can now finally play with Bananaspilts Better cities, Unique Lanscapes, Oblivion XP....HGEC Hehehe...and many other mods. So once again, thank you.

Wrye Bash is my favorite tool for Oblivion. It's got tons of functionality, but the nice is that you get by with just a few important ones on the surface, without bothering about the more advanced functions if you prefer. The Bashed Patch part of it is just about mandatory, in my opinion.

Be sure you get the Unofficial Oblivion Patch, and install that first in your lineup.

...and don't worry about the number of mods you've got going. Oblivion is heaven compared to trying to make Morrowind run with a ton of mods. I've got 227 mods going now in Oblivion, very stable, and I know a few others who have got as much 400 (using merged mods). So it's possible, depending upon how carefully you manage things. 20 or 30 mods? Not a big deal. Just get the right tools for it, per the recommendations others have already provided. And don't forget to ask here and in the Bethsoft forums if problems arise.