ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Oblivion XP and Unnecessary Violence

quic22

Hi, I'm surprised no one has requested this already cause both are VERY popular Oblivion Mods...but if I'm mistaken and this has already been fixed then just ignore this, but my request is this:

Can someone that knows extensive coding make it so when you kill something with Unnecessary Violence when you have Oblivion XP installed, you get XP?

This is my first post on these forums so hi everyone, and thanks for listening :)

I have narrowed it down to when you kill someone with UV moves, it doesn't add to the kill counter (ex. if kill a creature it adds it to a number of creatures you killed)

This would be rather useful. In fact, it was this very reason I stopped using UV. If this sort of patch was to show up, I would most definitely use it :)

It's seems to do the right thing if you commit a crime with these skills just not modding how many people or creatures you kill...I hope someone sees this and makes a temp mod to fix till UV RC2 comes out...(I can't seem to find the problem in the code itself)

If by any chance you do manage to make this work, release your fix as a patch or something. A lot of people will appreciate it, me included. :thumbsup:

maybe comparing it to how Deadly reflex handles its kills to UV? just a shot in the dark. after all, DR5 works like a charm with oblivion xp. or adding a variable // counter that you can force oblivion XP to pull from UV.I dont even have uv, but its just a guess (downloading it to look into it now)

Edit: I Think.. and im probably wrong on this. first i want to say that Skycaptain is a genius. second i want to say that the reason im looking at DR to try to fix whats wrong with UV is cause DR and Ob XP work seamlessly.

[Deleted: Earlier thesis based off incomplete information]

I Will say this. DR is difficult to understand. but Skycaptains a genius.

Edit 2nd time: okay wait that was all wrong. what skycaptain is doing to kill people is when a confirmed script (lets say an impale) is confirmed in his calculations, he adds an item related to its particular type of kill to your inventory as a ring. ie: item called ring of death is used to kill the player (you can look this up in DR5 easily to see what im talking about, the editor id is ringofdeath, and an exmaple of a quest that is used to kill the player is called [skycaptainsNPCimpaledownquestscript] an example of a script to kill an npc is skycaptainsimpaledownquestscript [look at line 508 in this script for the exact line that the PC kills the NPC]). this triggers a quest that sets the victimhealth to 0 or the players health to 0 or just uses a line of quest script to say that the player killed the npc. UV does NOT kill using a quest. while i havent looked directly into it, it can be assumed it kills enemies in the script without ownership for the kill: Ie: they had a heart attack or something (humor). so yeah. thats probably the problem. DR adds oblivion XP because it kills enemies using a mini quest, once a bunch of variables are checked. and UV doesnt add XP because it doesnt kill them that way. the quest that skycaptain uses basically tells the engine that you killed the person, while (this is an assumption) uv just kills them, similar to how a guard would kill a bandit on the side of the road. you can still loot the body, etc. and this works fine in stock oblivion cause youre skill points come from using the skills, not kills.

I think..

if thats correct, that means that the fix isnt as simple as it initially seems. Its not a matter of 1 or 2 missing lines of code, or the kill counter not racking up (but the kill counter is an indication that scripts are killing people in UV, Not the playerchar) its a matter of how UV is killing people. if you wanted to fix it you would have to use (probably) skycaptains method of using an item as an identifier, and from there use a mini quest to do the kills (also asking his permission would be a good idea). that means going through UV, and removing all the current kill references, and turning them into quest references (via an item being added to inventory). and thats probably why HeX hasnt just released a hotfix himself. its more than just an hour or two of coding (thats an assumption). and, on a sidenote, WAAAY beyond my skill (and i dont even use UV, lol but i guess i would if it worked with obliv xp).

There could Feasibly be a way to make UV reference a line of code inside oblivion XP (no major experience to back this up, just a shot in the dark), or make it give out a stock amount of XP for every UV kill (just theorizing with no actual information) my making UV a master file of oblivion XP and linking them through script. that would be a very 'hot' fix, but it wouldnt scale well, unless you created a base amount of XP, and then just put a multiplier on it based on Chars level. But then again, that wouldnt necessarily scale well with Obliv xps current (and excellent) system.

Remember im not 100% sure on this. but it seems likely to me.

maybe comparing it to how Deadly reflex handles its kills to UV? just a shot in the dark. after all, DR5 works like a charm with oblivion xp. or adding a variable // counter that you can force oblivion XP to pull from UV.I dont even have uv, but its just a guess (downloading it to look into it now)

Edit: I Think.. and im probably wrong on this. first i want to say that Skycaptain is a genius. second i want to say that the reason im looking at DR to try to fix whats wrong with UV is cause DR and Ob XP work seamlessly.

[Deleted: Earlier thesis based off incomplete information]

I Will say this. DR is difficult to understand. but Skycaptains a genius.

Edit 2nd time: okay wait that was all wrong. what skycaptain is doing to kill people is when a confirmed script (lets say an impale) is confirmed in his calculations, he adds an item related to its particular type of kill to your inventory as a ring. ie: item called ring of death is used to kill the player (you can look this up in DR5 easily to see what im talking about, the editor id is ringofdeath, and an exmaple of a quest that is used to kill the player is called [skycaptainsNPCimpaledownquestscript] an example of a script to kill an npc is skycaptainsimpaledownquestscript [look at line 508 in this script for the exact line that the PC kills the NPC]). this triggers a quest that sets the victimhealth to 0 or the players health to 0 or just uses a line of quest script to say that the player killed the npc. UV does NOT kill using a quest. while i havent looked directly into it, it can be assumed it kills enemies in the script without ownership for the kill: Ie: they had a heart attack or something (humor). so yeah. thats probably the problem. DR adds oblivion XP because it kills enemies using a mini quest, once a bunch of variables are checked. and UV doesnt add XP because it doesnt kill them that way. the quest that skycaptain uses basically tells the engine that you killed the person, while (this is an assumption) uv just kills them, similar to how a guard would kill a bandit on the side of the road. you can still loot the body, etc. and this works fine in stock oblivion cause youre skill points come from using the skills, not kills.

I think..

if thats correct, that means that the fix isnt as simple as it initially seems. Its not a matter of 1 or 2 missing lines of code, or the kill counter not racking up (but the kill counter is an indication that scripts are killing people in UV, Not the playerchar) its a matter of how UV is killing people. if you wanted to fix it you would have to use (probably) skycaptains method of using an item as an identifier, and from there use a mini quest to do the kills (also asking his permission would be a good idea). that means going through UV, and removing all the current kill references, and turning them into quest references (via an item being added to inventory). and thats probably why HeX hasnt just released a hotfix himself. its more than just an hour or two of coding (thats an assumption). and, on a sidenote, WAAAY beyond my skill (and i dont even use UV, lol but i guess i would if it worked with obliv xp).

There could Feasibly be a way to make UV reference a line of code inside oblivion XP (no major experience to back this up, just a shot in the dark), or make it give out a stock amount of XP for every UV kill (just theorizing with no actual information) my making UV a master file of oblivion XP and linking them through script. that would be a very 'hot' fix, but it wouldnt scale well, unless you created a base amount of XP, and then just put a multiplier on it based on Chars level. But then again, that wouldnt necessarily scale well with Obliv xps current (and excellent) system.

Remember im not 100% sure on this. but it seems likely to me.

Interesting...I think you are right on all counts! So I probably better wait till HeX releases his new RC2 before I mess up something I regret. Thanks for the thoughts :)

Well, i wouldnt be discouraged. just make it as a seperate patch from the ESP. you can probably find and replace everything in the scripts. youd need to go through them all, probably. heck, for all you know, all the UV kills might reference one killscript. from there its a matter of making the kills in that script setstage in a quest, and then getting the quest to set victimhealth to 0 (theres a bit more to it than that, but thats the guts of it).

Well, i wouldnt be discouraged. just make it as a seperate patch from the ESP. you can probably find and replace everything in the scripts. youd need to go through them all, probably. heck, for all you know, all the UV kills might reference one killscript. from there its a matter of making the kills in that script setstage in a quest, and then getting the quest to set victimhealth to 0 (theres a bit more to it than that, but thats the guts of it).

You are right, it does just reference 1 killscript, but I.....perhaps I could use the "if mod is loaded script" then "if target (he uses target for the reference of...well your target) health >= 0 then set target health to 0....think that might work?

...I'm missing something....how do I make a reference to a quest? (I am very limited in my knowledge of script, perhaps this could help someone else to script it and make a separate esp?)