HELP Result Script size limit?

PrettyMurky

Hey,

I'm trying to write a mod, and it involves a very long result script in conversations, and I seem to have reached a character limit. I've got about 12 fairly long lines of code, and it wont let me add a single extra character.

I assume this is some result script limitation. Is there a way around it, such as calling another script somehow?

Thanks in advance, PM

Hey,

I'm trying to write a mod, and it involves a very long result script in conversations, and I seem to have reached a character limit. I've got about 12 fairly long lines of code, and it wont let me add a single extra character.

I assume this is some result script limitation. Is there a way around it, such as calling another script somehow?

Thanks in advance, PM

In cases like this, you're usually always best just calling those things within a quest script by a condition based on the quest stage or some variable. Although there might be some delay if the script is happening mid-conversation instead of the end, it tends to be a bit cleaner.

You mean a 'begin MenuMode 1009'?

That could work. Which reference would I need to pass from the result script to the quest script? (to be able to reference who tho PC is talking to's responsibility, dispos, skills, etc.) & how would I do it?

thanks, PM

Basically, the player is trying to sell skooma to NPCs. They ask the NPC if they want to buy, they'll either say no or ask the player how much, at this point, I need to generate too variables, based upon theirs and the PCs stats, such as dispositon, responsibility, personality, mercantile, to decide whether the NPC will buy and if so, for how much. Its these variables I need ready before giving the player the options for prices, so the result can depend on the variables being high enough.

Basically, the player is trying to sell skooma to NPCs. They ask the NPC if they want to buy, they'll either say no or ask the player how much, at this point, I need to generate too variables, based upon theirs and the PCs stats, such as dispositon, responsibility, personality, mercantile, to decide whether the NPC will buy and if so, for how much. Its these variables I need ready before giving the player the options for prices, so the result can depend on the variables being high enough.

Can't really be done since variables used for scripting can't be used right away. Meaning that variables set within the result script of Dialogue A can't be used for the outcome of Dialogue B or in many cases even Dialogue C. The only solution I found around this was to create multiple responses based on conditions that aren't changed at any point during the dialogue. Meaning that you won't be able to get away with a single "yes/no" response for each price type, but will need to have several which have differing conditions which check the disposition, responsibility, and such directly.

ah ok. Thanks anyway.

For now, I've got it giving the PC one looped option, saying " < Please wait for 'Ready for Offer' > ", with the Quest script giving the message when its done, after which they can offer the various prices. Not ideal, but allows it to work atleast..

I'm mucking around with dialogue/script options at the moment trying to figure out how to do some things that are probably not possible.

However as regards your own problem, could you possibly avoid scripts and simply have the "calculation" as a condition on the NPCs info options for the topic? Can't you string a whole bunch of checks on variables together in this condition (linked with ands?)

So NPC's greeting has a choice of a topic "ModnameBuySkooma"

In ModnameBuySkooma topic you add two infos (Not buying Skooma, Yes buying Skooma). The latter yesbuy info obviously has a result script (take skooma, give gold). The nobuy info would only have a condition to make sure only this NPC says it. The yesbuy info would have a more complex condition of (this NPC) AND (disposition > x) AND (merchantile > x), etc, etc.

Or have I not understood what you are trying to do? Maybe I am in error as to how dialogue works (I am new at this)?