Memory cannot be "read" errors with my mod loadout

Tantalum

So, I recently bought the Oblivion Game of the Year Edition(The one that includes SI and KotN), I played through it without any mods with no problem so for the second play-through I decided it might be fun to try using a few mods. First I tried using this FCOM mod pack, but the game constantly CTD'ed randomly, so I decided to try and find mods that I liked rather than using ones provided to me in a mod pack.

I ended up deciding on using OOO, Alternative Start by Ship, S.P.A.M, MMM(For OOO), the unofficial Oblivion, SI and addon patches, AWS, Quest Award Leveler and Supreme Magicka. Spent a whole day downloading and trying to get my load order right so the game doesn't crash on startup. After a few attempts I got them all working together(Or so I thought...) started the game, but when I tried to exit Anvil I get a "Memory cannot be "read"" error, which I am now getting every time I try to start oblivion. If I remove all the mods it works fine, but when I am using the mods the game crashes with that error whenever I try to enter/exit a building. I'm not sure if it's a problem with my load order if the mods I am using are just incompatible with each other.

My load order looks like this(Copied straight from BOSS) :

Oblivion.esm

AWS-Core.esm

Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esm
 . Bashed Patch tag suggestion:  {{BASH:Invent,Stats,Relations}}

Mart's Monster Mod.esm
 . Bashed Patch tag suggestion:  {{BASH:Invent,Relations}}

Mart's Monster Mod for OOO.esm

Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp
 . Bashed Patch tag suggestion:  {{BASH:C.Climate,C.Light,C.Owner,Delev,Invent,Names,Relev,Stats,Relations}} and remove the C.Water tag.

DLCShiveringIsles.esp

Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp
 . Note:  Remember to use the 'MOBS' version when using Francesco's and FCOM.
 . Note:  Newest MOBS and non-MOBS versions have the same name.
 . Bashed Patch tag suggestion:  {{BASH:C.Light,C.Owner,Invent,Names,Relations,Stats,Delev}}

MMM.esp
 . Note:  Dummy file to load the MMM .BSA

AWS-ShiveringIsles.esp

Living Economy.esp
 . Note:  Don't use 'Living Economy' and 'Living Economy - SI' together. Pick one.

Living Economy - Items.esp

Cutthroat Merchants.esp

DLCHorseArmor.esp

DLCHorseArmor - Unofficial Patch.esp

DLCOrrery.esp

DLCOrrery - Unofficial Patch.esp

DLCVileLair.esp

DLCVileLair - Unofficial Patch.esp

DLCMehrunesRazor.esp

DLCMehrunesRazor - Unofficial Patch.esp

DLCSpellTomes.esp
 . Bashed Patch tag suggestion:  {{BASH:Relev}}

DLCSpellTomes - Unofficial Patch.esp
 . Note:  Not compatible with 'CDM-CGO Compatibility plugins'.

DLCThievesDen.esp

DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch.esp

DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch - SSSB.esp

Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esp
 . Bashed Patch tag suggestion:  {{BASH:Delev,Invent,Names,Relations,Relev,Stats}}

Mart's Monster Mod.esp

Mart's Monster Mod for OOO.esp
 . Bashed Patch tag suggestion:  {{BASH:Invent,Factions,Relations}}

Mart's Monster Mod - Shivering Isles.esp

Mart's Monster Mod - Additional Enemy NPC Vars.esp

Mart's Monster Mod - Hunting & Crafting.esp

Mart's Monster Mod - Dungeons of MMM.esp

Mart's Monster Mod - More Wilderness Life.esp
 . Note:  Use either 'More Wilderness Life' or 'More Wilderness Life No Gates' but not both.

Mart's Monster Mod - Diverse WaterLife.esp

Mart's Monster Mod - Diverse Runeskulls Loot OOO.esp
 . Note:  Requires OOO.esm
 . Note:  Requires MMMforOOO or FCOM.
 . Note:  Not compatible with MMM Gems & Gem Dust.

OOO-WaterFish.esp

DLCBattlehornCastle.esp

DLCBattlehornCastle - Unofficial Patch.esp

DLCFrostcrag.esp
 . Bashed Patch tag suggestion:  {{BASH:C.Owner}}

DLCFrostcrag - Unofficial Patch.esp
 . Note:  Possible conflict with Frostcrag Reborn. Do not use both or land tearing will occur.

Knights.esp

Knights - Unofficial Patch.esp
 . Bashed Patch tag suggestion:  {{BASH:C.Light,Invent,Names,Relev,Stats}}

Mart's Monster Mod for OOO - Knights .esp

Harvest [Flora].esp

Harvest [Flora] - Shivering Isles.esp

Harvest [Flora] - DLCVileLair.esp

Harvest [Flora] - DLCFrostcrag.esp

Quest Award Leveller.esp

Quest Award Leveller - Vile Lair.esp

Quest Award Leveller - Mehrunes Razor.esp

Quest Award Leveller - Knights of the Nine.esp

Alternative Start by Robert Evrae.esp
 . Bashed Patch tag suggestion:  {{BASH:Relations}}

SupremeMagicka.esp
 . Bashed Patch tag suggestion:  {{BASH:Names,Graphics}}

SM_ShiveringIsles.esp

SM_OOO.esp

SM_MMM.esp

SM_Scrolls.esp

SM_SigilStone.esp

S.P.A.M.esp
 . Note:  Use either 'S.P.A.M.esp' or 'S.P.A.M. 100+.esp' but not both together.

S.P.A.M. option - Faster Major.esp
 . Note:  Choose either this one, 'S.P.A.M. Option - Fastest Major.esp', or neither, BUT DO NOT choose both.

Could someone look over my load order and check if I have any files misplaced? I'm really at a loss as to what to do here, I have tried using Wrye Bash to merge addons but for some reason Wrye always resets my load order and places AWS.esm before the Oblivion.esm, and I have no way to change it.

EDIT: No one has any idea why this is happening? I would really love to replay Oblivion as a Marksman/Spellcaster but I didn't like how archery was handled in vanilla.

I hate the bump my own thread, but I would like to be able to play oblivion over the weekend, I have tried updating my graphics drivers, ran memtest, attempted to redo a bashed patch but nothing works, I still get the same error. I have uninstalled Oblivion and all my mods, deleted whatever was left in the oblivion folder and deleted oblivion's folder in my documents but I still get the same problem.

Not a good idea to load a bunch of mods without testing. You will probably spend more time troubleshooting than you would have saved. Hopefully we can salvage your game without reloading. Your list looks incomplete to me. should it end at SPAM ?

Link to Bben's Oblivion Load Order Recommendations

http://www.tesnexus.com/articles/article.php?id=323

You don't say if you have OBSE or not - it is required for many mods. as is the latest patch.

OBSE: http://obse.silverlock.org/

Bben's Patch Advice

http://www.tesnexus.com/articles/article.php?id=327

Also, get OBMM (if you don't have it) , http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2097 it allows setting load order manually and is easier for a neophyte to use than Wrye Bash - although you will still need Wrye Bash because you will probably need FCOM to get OOO & MMM to work together. FCOM is a small mod pack that allows several normally incompatible mods to work together. Thousands of people have installed it - and you can too. And that Requires a Bash patch.

Getting a bunch of mods to work is not a quick load & go. Some people spend a week or more. And reload then start over at least once. I hope we can get you going quicker than that. :thumbsup:

I don't really mind restarting, as that is what I had planned on doing in the first place. I'm using OBSE, BOSS, OBMM and Wrye Bash to manage my mods. I have the latest patch for Oblivion/SI. I'll go and disable everything but OOO, see if that fixes it. As far as I know it *should* end at SPAM, all the mods listed in the output file in boss are present in my data folder.

EDIT: I don't suppose there is some kind of benchmark or testing addon for oblivion? One that runs through basic scripts/game events in an attempt to find conflicts?

There is a conflict detector comin with OBMM (the old version) which exactly tells what conflicts. Reading your list I don't see anything wrong, but I miss the BashedPatch.esp, you should, at any rate, use a bashed patch with this amount of mods.

Also this one...

Mart's Monster Mod - Additional Enemy NPC Vars.esp

...is knowen to crash your game if you use lots of mods. BOSS should have telled you.

This one...

MMM.esp
 . Note:  Dummy file to load the MMM .BSA

...is not supposed to be there. Did you renamed your MMM.bsa to Mart's Monster Mod for OOO.bsa? I also see you have booth Fish plugins from MMM and OOO, decide to use only one, or you'll get strange behaviour of the fishes and fishes that bounce on land.

Apart from that, try deactivating one mod after another and see if it works to explore which is the one giving you the memory error.

EDIT: Or so I had thought, after a few minutes of playing the same thing happened again, "Memory cannot be "read"", I'm going to uninstall oblivion/SI and the addons, delete all left over folders and just work on getting all the mods that I want to use together and ensuring that they are compatible.

I'm nearly certain that is not the case, I have ran memtest86 through multiple passes on both single and multi-core loops.

I have cleaned up my mod list, but now the game crashes upon start up.

------------------------------------
Recognized and re-ordered mod files:
------------------------------------

Oblivion.esm
 . Note:  Masterlist Information: $Revision$, $Date$, $LastChangedBy$

AWS-Core.esm

Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esm
 . Bashed Patch tag suggestion:  {{BASH:Invent,Scripts,Stats,Relations}}

Mart's Monster Mod for OOO.esm
 . Bashed Patch tag suggestion:  {{BASH:Delev,Factions,Relations,Relev}}

Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp
 . Note:  Recommend installing UOP hotfix for additional fixes: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=27710
 . Bashed Patch tag suggestion:  {{BASH:Actors.AIData,Actors.AIPackages,Actors.CombatStyle,Actors.DeathItem,Actors.Stats,C.Climate,C.Light,C.Name,C.Owner,Creatures.Blood,Delev,Factions,Invent,Names,Relations,Relev,Scripts,Stats}} and remove the C.Water tag (only exist in older version).
 . Note:  Remember to use the 'MOBS' version when using Francesco's or FCOM.

DLCShiveringIsles.esp

Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp
 . Note:  Remember to use the 'MOBS' version when using Francesco's and FCOM.
 . Bashed Patch tag suggestion:  {{BASH:Actors.AIData,Actors.AIPackages,Actors.DeathItem,Actors.Stats,C.Climate,C.Light,C.Name,C.Owner,Delev,Factions,Invent,Names,Relev,Scripts,Stats,Relations}}

AWS-ShiveringIsles.esp

Living Economy.esp
 . Note:  Don't use 'Living Economy' and 'Living Economy - SI' together. Pick one.

Living Economy - Items.esp

Cutthroat Merchants.esp

Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esp
 . Bashed Patch tag suggestion:  {{BASH:Actors.AIData,Actors.AIPackages,Actors.Stats,Delev,Factions,Graphics,Invent,Names,Relations,Relev,Scripts,Stats}}

Mart's Monster Mod for OOO.esp
 . Bashed Patch tag suggestion:  {{BASH:Actors.AIData,Actors.AIPackages,Actors.Stats,Delev,Factions,Graphics,Invent,Names,Relations,Relev,Scripts,Stats}}

Mart's Monster Mod - Shivering Isles.esp

Mart's Monster Mod - More Wilderness Life.esp
 . Note:  Use either 'More Wilderness Life' or 'More Wilderness Life No Gates' but not both.

Mart's Monster Mod - Diverse WaterLife.esp

Mart's Monster Mod - Diverse Runeskulls Loot OOO.esp

Knights.esp

Knights - Unofficial Patch.esp
 . Bashed Patch tag suggestion:  {{BASH:C.Light,Invent,Names,Relev,Stats}}

Mart's Monster Mod for OOO - Knights .esp
 . Bashed Patch tag suggestion:  {{BASH:Actors.AIData,Actors.AIPackages, Actors.Stats,Delev,Relev,Stats}}

Harvest [Flora].esp
 . Bashed Patch tag suggestion:  {{BASH:Scripts}}

Harvest [Flora] - Shivering Isles.esp

Quest Award Leveller.esp

Quest Award Leveller - Knights of the Nine.esp

Alternative Start by Robert Evrae.esp
 . Bashed Patch tag suggestion:  {{BASH:Relations}}

SupremeMagicka.esp
 . Bashed Patch tag suggestion:  {{BASH:Names,Graphics}}

SM_ShiveringIsles.esp

SM_OOO.esp

SM_MMM.esp

SM_Scrolls.esp

SM_SigilStone.esp

S.P.A.M.esp
 . Note:  Use either 'S.P.A.M.esp' or 'S.P.A.M. 100+.esp' but not both together.

S.P.A.M. option - Faster Major.esp
 . Note:  Choose either this one, 'S.P.A.M. Option - Fastest Major.esp', or neither, BUT DO NOT choose both.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Unrecognized mod files:                                          
Reorder these by hand using your favorite mod ordering utility. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------
Done.

I have narrowed it down to MMM that is causing the crashing, everything works fine until I enable MMM. I'm not sure what is causing it, this time I made sure to follow the instructions in the readme exactly and renamed the .bsa but it still crashes. Does anyone know if I am supposed to use the MMM.esm AND the MMM For OOO.esm?

I wouldn't mind trying a bash patch but I can't seem to find the right settings, for example the line

{{BASH:Actors.AIData,Actors.AIPackages,Actors.DeathItem,Actors.Stats,C.Climate,C.Light,C.Name,C.Owner,Delev,Factions,Invent,Names,Relev,Scripts,Stats,Relations}}

Is telling me to merge the all of those items correct? I tried to do that but I am missing some of the settings, for example, "Relev", "Actors" and "C" are all missing from the batched patch options.

EDIT: Nevermind, mod loads fine now, was missing the main .esm

Well, the game loads fine, I was having fun for about an hour. But now the game crashes when I attempt to enter a certain area. Just to be sure I made a quicksave just outside the area that causes the crash, then unloaded all my mods and loaded the quicksave. I was able to enter the area without any problems, so it is a mod problem and not the game or my computer :/. Now to spend a few hours(Or weeks) trying to find what is causing it.

EDIT: After turning off/on mods, It's MMM that's causing the crashing, even if I disable all the options and only use MMM with no other addons, the game crashes in certain spots.

• 10 years later...

It is too bad this post was from so long ago. I have almost 200 plug-ins and 200 mods loaded and it works reasonably well.

I use VORTEX to watch over it all. It does a decent job of detecting conflicts and gives you a reasonable way to remanage them.

I have still started over about 3 times, but mostly because I kept changing the mods 1/2 way through. lol

It's not a perfect system, but neither is Oblivion by any cry.

I still get the memory cannot read error, so I am certain I am missing something or something needs writing.

I think that after more than 10 years of playing this game and still loving it, I can deal with a few problems.

The changes I have made have created a whole new gaming experience for me here.

I also use a lot of console commands to get around a few things.

One thing I did do was to write a script that boosts my companions' stats so that they don't go unconscious so often.

I kicked up their health to around 90,000. They don't hit 0 often.

I do have to execute the script every time I:

level

sleep

stop/start the game

and when they leave (as they often do) and come back in their original garb

Hope you got your situation fixed and had fun!!!