4GB patch and OBSE

przemekG

I came here to ask the same question and see there is a thread about this already. I always wondered what it meant but never put 2 and 2 together until recently when i noticed that i would crash whenever i hit that "sweet spot"..

So i noticed nobody has actually answered the OPs question:

Does OBSE remove the large address aware flag? That would explain why i gain nothing from doing the patch. However that would also rise the question as to why?

Hoping for an answer to this.

OBSE temporarily clears the flag to calculate the CRC of the .exe to identify its version, it doesn't interfere with the 4gb patch. Not certain why you're not seeing any gain, how are you measuring that?

Testing when crashes happen by watching the memory usage in taskmanager. with OBSE active it is at around 1.8GB (as expected), without OBSE at around 3.7GB (also as expected). Tests are done with next to no mods (only supplemental and unofficial patches) in the waterfront area using createfullactorcopies to raise memory usage slowly.

I actually don't expect any huge FPS gains or anything, but a longer playability before some inevitable crash happens ;)

As expected i meant because that is the limit for 2GB (eg non large address aware) applications and LAA enabled non 64-bit applications respectively.

However i think i found my error and deserve a righteous self face palm :facepalm:

I used MOM to create two identical copies of Oblivion, one where i then installed OBSE and one where i left it out. I put in some texture replacers to push the memory usage, but no other mods. In any case it seems i forgot to actually use the 4GB patch on the version with OBSE ;) I thought i had applied it before i used MOM to create the clone but apparently not.

So that explains my fail ;)

Thanks for the response though.