Pipboy Addons

UttaNutta

Before you say anything, I've looked with no success. If they do already exist, I'd like to see them.

Anyway, I've been thinking. Why not have addon's for the pipboy?

The 3000A may have been more basic to start with, but it's reliable, and can be upgraded with various need gadgets.

For example: A camera. You can take pictures and store them in your notes system. The camera could be a mini one mounted on your pipboy, or you might have to use ones you find. You might also have to repair them with batteries. Also, it would be cool if you could do sound recording. At the very least, I'd like a bunch of blank holotapes that you could record your songs into. Last but not least, this also goes for terminals, I want to be able to input things. As in, actually type something in. So you could type it in on a terminal, then download it onto your pipboy.

I would like to see all this, because the pipboy is supposed to be something you rely on, something you never want to take off, and something that other's can't. I mean, it can tell if your legs are broken and help you heal them, and it keeps track off all your items. So why not these things.

Who knows, maybe this'll be in New Vegas.

The planned add-ons include AI systems, stealth modules, energy cell generators, and more. If you had any specific ideas I could probably add them.

....The add-ons may or may not affect the pipboys appearance, it depends on how good a modeler we get.

I'm not sure if anything you ask is even possible.

Sound recording: As far as I understand it, there's no possible way to record a sound from the game itself. Let alone then create a holotape out of it. Holotapes need to be pre-setup in the GECK for recordings, even text, and I've never come across any option, reference, or appearance that it's possible to change the linked recording in-game.

Camera: Same thing. I've never seen a reference that would point to the ability to read the fallout 3 screenshot folder, let alone having a way to capture a screen without a screenshot or external program (fraps, etc)

Terminals: Again, same thing. It /may/ be possible with some very, very heavy and talented scripting, but I see no feasible way to be able to input text in a terminal and then save it. Terminals require the notes to be pre-written in the GECK and then linked to the terminal. There's no way to dynamically change the notes from in-game.

So to answer your question: "Why not these things?" Most likely because they're either downright impossible, or would require far more work than it's worth to get working. My vote is going to the former.

Modding gives us a huge amount of power over the game, but there are some things that no matter how good you are with scripting or the GECK, you can never do without directly modifying the game's source code... which is illegal.