Fo3 Mark two Official Thread

Nadin

And if that rhino models done, I'd be happy to add it in. Please?

I don't have it animated, but the model is done.

I can rig and animate the thing just fine, I just havn't figured out how to import all that stuff into the GECK.

So if you think you are up to it I can send you a file with the Rhino, rig, and animations and see what you can do. Animations won't be done for a day or two though.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but how realistic is any game? granted your probably mean perceived realism.

It more to do with giving you options when balancing things out and you can make weapons which are not overly powerfully in all situations.

which is a major factor when you start combining weapons at use short and long rounds and bodyarmour.

Realism is in there, but actually as an afterthought. It's certainly not our priority.

I agree on the point of weapons, though there won't be long and short rounds.

For example, the taser isn't terribly useful in regular battle, due to it's low damage. All it does is cause a temporary paralysis.

Against power armored troops, however, it deals out a good deal of damage plus an extended paralysis and loss to most special stats for a period of time.

It also kills robots, in the style of the pulse grenade. So yes, there are specialized weapons.

Ok, I just came across this idea in the mod request section and I thought it might be an interesting kind of random encounter type thing that could expand on the whole Wasteland Drifer sandbox dynamic.

http://thenexusforums.com/index.php?showtopic=198305

No credit at all to me, I just linked the page that was already there.

I could just see it as a nice consequence of losing an encounter with slavers after they track you down for staying in one place for too long.

What do you need editing? I know I'm not the best texture artist out there however I may be able to help.

PS

I agree on the point of weapons, though there won't be long and short rounds.

oh and incase you didn't know "long round" and "short round" are older terms for different types of (bullet) round.

In a basic way, a Long round is a rifle bullet a short round is a pistol bullet.

It's a term based on the overall length of the round, originally commoing from olderd types of round where rifle rounds basically used the same bullet jsut had longer brass cases so had higher powder charges.

Current rifles rounds are now somewhat different, the mechanics behind how they cause injury is not the same as how a "short" pistol round causes injury.

Tumbling vs squashing is part of it but not all of it and the basic upshot is that the moment you put a 5.56mm NATO up against a 10mm Auto (aka 10mm Norma and the later.40 S&W, the rounds that blackisle originaly looked to, which is why we have 10mm in fallout not 9mm) the 5.56mm rifle round will totally dominate the 10mm pistol round in terms of both damage and penertration.

In game terms a realistic assault rifle is very unballanced.

One thing I'll mention here is a major drawback of long bottlenecked rounds, like the 5.56mm, is sliencers.

When you shoot a gun there is actually 2 sounds involved not one, the first is the bullet leaving the barrel the 2nd is the expanding gasses leaving the barrel.

Now the job of a sliencer/suppressor is to absorb and slow the gasses leaving the barrel (which is the majority of the noise) however, unlike the relatively slow moving short pistol rounds, long rifle rounds leave the barrel at speeds well over mach1, so while a slience on an assault rilfe will greatly reduce the sound it makes it is still far louder than a slienced pistol, also the high velocity bullet and larger volumes of gasses involved "chew" through a sliencer far faster than a pistol round.

If the velocity of a rifle round is reduced to speeds below mach1 then it actually loses a large amount of it's effectiveness in both wounding and penetration and a pistol round becomes more effective.

That's one bit of realisium I do like to see in games, too many overly powerfull yet totally slient assault rifle mods are about.

(and yes I know far too much about the subject, it comes from too many years spent playing rpg's with people who hold physics or chemistry degrees)

Side note, Love that Rhino :thumbsup: although it needs some bhraman-esk mutaion/looks.

Glowing Rhion's? can just see myself getting chased over the wastelands now.

EDIT:PPS on the latest poll, and I do realise this will be a lot of work, if you plan to also uses "races" then each one could have a different start.

While an option to skip the "growing up bit" would be good, any other changes to the start would require some major changes/rewritting of the main story which would be a lot of work.

Thanks for replying, I was afraid this thread was going to die.

And I wasn't quite sure what you meant with the long and short rounds--in retrospect, google would have been a good idea.

Silenced guns will be by-and-large gone. Those wouldn't survive the wasteland. You can find one or two in the vaults and sealed armories, but even then they're still loud. And they do lower damage and degrade after 5-10 shots.

It may be unrealistic, but I also seriously nerfed most of the assault rifles--except for the really fantastic ones like the AK-47 and such.

And I upped the 10MM just out of sheer exasperation that it took forty rounds to kill a raider.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the rhino--whenever tony finishes it.

The texture variant is already being worked on. Just a black-and-yellow striped pistol.

What's PPS mean?