Heightmap Editor Crash

Ranokoa

When I use the heightmap editor, after I am done with shape, generating, erosion ETC, when I try to save it every time it will crash the CS.

It's really as simple as that. I switch it up with how much erosion and stuff, shape, size, etc, all with the same results. Anyone have an idea as to why my CS always crashes when I use the heightmap editor or a way around it? I am making a semi-large small world. Just a nice big island the size of... errr... The beginning area of Shivering Isles where that gatekeeper is. Trying to make it that big. I really have no clue how big it will actually be once I'm done editing it because I've never used heightmap before, but I'm hoping it will be relatively large. In my case, it CAN be too small, but not too large. (How I generally am with mods, which is why all the good ones are not finished after months or even a year!)

Be well, sleep well, fight well, kudos to the person who fixed my problem, live long.

~Ranokoa

PS: I don't feel like drawing it out to have someone else make the heightmap for me, I need to be able to do it myself.

I had the same problem and somehow solved it by first making very small piece of land and then saving. Then increse its size and save as many times as needed to make it the size you want it to be. If it still crashes you could always raise the land with Landscape editor.

I am making a semi-large small world. Just a nice big island the size of... errr... The beginning area of Shivering Isles where that gatekeeper is. Trying to make it that big. I really have no clue how big it will actually be once I'm done editing it because I've never used heightmap before, but I'm hoping it will be relatively large. In my case, it CAN be too small, but not too large. (How I generally am with mods, which is why all the good ones are not finished after months or even a year!)

You should probably just use the landscape editor in that case, and build as you go. Using the heightmap editor generates a full 4 quads, always, which can add unnecessary size to the .esp file and complicate smaller mods. To make it easier in landscape editing, you can increase the landscape sensitivity, and use arrow keys to move around. When working on areas larger than 6x6 cells, don't be too concerned about the initial landscape you setup, just try to have land above the water so you can see it. Then, as you build, raise and lower as needed. Even in the case of a heightmapped terrain, you can be spending an hour or two refining an area to have the right heights and textures to match the buildings, rocks and other elements.

As for the heightmap crashing, the solution to this is usually in saving the .esp after the worldspace is defined, and opening up somewhere in the render window (doesn't have to be that worldspace).

Loading it into XP-compatibility might help as well. It does for me. (I'd recommend turning it off after, or you'll get a uac-prompt every time.)

i was just having this problem this morning, i did find something interesting out, i was trying to take an easy way out and trying to stay in the quads so i dont have to fix alot of stuff afterwards, i dont know if that would make it easier for me so i started making my land in the upper left corner and stayed away from the center, but after creating eroding and all that it crashes when i save, i did an experiment and placed my land in the center this time and i finally got to save it, wierd huh, so i dont know if thats whut your doing but i hope you do figure out whuts up

*edit

Damn i didnt even see the hatchet man lol