Favorite Armor?

wiegraf37

21 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite type of armor

• Light
    • Medium
    • Heavy
    • Massive

Im curious: What type of armor does everyone like? I know we all have our own preferences, and Id like to know what everyone thinks is the most aesthetically pleasing. Personally, Im a fan of Medium armor, specifically Varathorns armor.

As an elf and only elf player I prefer Massive armor variations as they more drastically reflect the difference between elven lean and elegant body type in comparison with chunky and bear type body of humans. I hate medium armor for the same reason- elves wearing it look like short humans with slightly more narrowed waist.

Are we talking aesthetics, or funtionality?

Visually, the massive armors have the most appeal to me. That, and some of the best looking armor retexes are done for the massive armors.

After that, I'd say heavy chain. Some really nice looking color schemes can be made to use with those.

Functionality-wise, I'd say medium. I can mod out suits of medium armor for my warriors and rogues that have nearly double the protective stats of a suit of (vanilla) massive armor, with SERIOUSLY less fatigue. OR leave off a lot of the armor mod, throw in bonuses for spells, etc and have a low-fatigue set for my mages.

meh, I still need to work on making them LOOK like massive sets tho, for when I wanna make um look beefier.

definitely gotta go with the massives as well

one of the sets ive really grown fond of is the blood dragon armor...i download something, somewhere in the nexus (search "blood") that makes the red parts of it glow in the dark

in fact i keep putting off making a black retex so sten can walk around with it equipped looking like the grim reapers messenger of death - keep him away from farms

and of course you cant go wrong with the legion set, very nice indeed

as for mediums and lights...well they look decent on the female companions, and i think its the scale set (with the samuri-like design) that looks pretty good on either gender of rouge, but certain massives look crappy on female models, particularly the super-buff shoulders and the entire look just seems overwhelming for a female less than 185lbs of solid muscle, heh,

now that i think of it.....the heavy female armor sets should have been used to portray the massive armor stats for female models

yeah i guess my point is based on cosmetics

Definitely the massive plate armours, only mostly because they look the most realistic on the ladies. All of the other armours in the game have breast bulges when equipped to females, which are obviously only there for "sex appeal" (which I say is entirely unnecessary and silly). If you do some reading about it, you'll find out why having breast-bulges in armour would actually be very bad in real life.

But, I also quite like how the scale and dwarf armours look on everyone. :happy:

As someone who tends to favor female characters, and am playing a noble in my latest run, I am favoring gowns with no real protection at all.... what am I nuts?! I've yet to find that balance between beauty and protection in my armors so far. Alas, the search continues.

Armour was never meant to be fashionable or to give men hard-ons. It is and always has been meant for one thing: to protect your vital organs from injury during battle.

I never expected the armor to arouse me nor have I ever expected it to do anything less than be able to protect me from death. But is it too much for it to be a little stylish? Every hero likes to have their own fashion that separates them from the rest of the pack. Rogues, bards, mages these are all people whom wear attire of a different sort. In the sense of the game everything is armor, so I call it all armor. Even a dress is armor. With my rogue in mind, it depends on the goal in mind as to what they would wear. With that in mind, I've always hated most of the mage armors. Too revealing, not very stylish at all.

I take offense that you misunderstand my seeking of style for something that I expect to be pleasuring myself to. That's just a side bonus! :whistling:

Definitely the massive plate armours, only mostly because they look the most realistic on the ladies. All of the other armours in the game have breast bulges when equipped to females, which are obviously only there for "sex appeal" (which I say is entirely unnecessary and silly). If you do some reading about it, you'll find out why having breast-bulges in armour would actually be very bad in real life.

This is actually VERY true. Large bulges or lumps, spikes, etc were more detrimental to the armor design, than good. A Good armor design is smooth surfaced, and convexed. The more curve, the better, as it helps to assist in deflecting a blow from a weapon, or especially an arrow. Some of the best made armor for this, was the old pot-bellied design. Yeah, it looked like the guy was wearing a cooking pot across his chest, but it offered really good protection. Tho at an added cost of weight.

Not to mention that in a lot of the lower area of the torso (unless the guy had a decent gut) it allowed for more "breathing room" before a penetration or dent reached the gambeson (which was a quilted or light leather jacket that was worn to prevent chaffing and add minimal shock absorbancy. Tho in chainmail, they were also worn to keep the chain links from penetrating skin during a blow.) before breeching flesh.

Anything that would catch the incoming object, such as a hammer, mace, sword, etc was bad. Especially with blunt objects. Not only because it increases the chance of penetration, and entangling the weapon, but also because unless the FIGHTER recoils with the blow, they'll take the full impact, rather than the impact of a glancing blow.

To be noted tho. Historically speaking, in societies that used heavy armor such as plate, plate/chain.... they didnt make femme armor. Fighting was a "man's" job back then, and women didnt fight, except in defense of their homes/children. And the only ones who would have been able to afford such a suit would have been nobility, which were under even more dogma restrictions than the peasants or middle class. Middle class MIGHT have afforded a suit like that, but more than likely it would have been scale, chainmail, splint mail, or ringmail.

Armour was never meant to be fashionable or to give men hard-ons. It is and always has been meant for one thing: to protect your vital organs from injury during battle.

I never expected the armor to arouse me nor have I ever expected it to do anything less than be able to protect me from death. But is it too much for it to be a little stylish? Every hero likes to have their own fashion that separates them from the rest of the pack. Rogues, bards, mages these are all people whom wear attire of a different sort. In the sense of the game everything is armor, so I call it all armor. Even a dress is armor. With my rogue in mind, it depends on the goal in mind as to what they would wear. With that in mind, I've always hated most of the mage armors. Too revealing, not very stylish at all.

I take offense that you misunderstand my seeking of style for something that I expect to be pleasuring myself to. That's just a side bonus! :whistling:

I did not mean it that way, I'm sorry my apologies :sad: