Favorite Armor?

wiegraf37

21 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite type of armor

• Light
    • Medium
    • Heavy
    • Massive

I have to say the heavy armour from the vanilla game was my favourite. The massive armour was just that MASSIVE, even on Sten, who is quite the bit larger than a human, the near ton of ornamented metal and it's associated weight made me cringe. I live in a town with a blacksmith (gotta love when you can still get forged chainmail, even if it costs and arm and a leg) and I can tell you that a suit of pure chainmail covering the body made out of the most modern steel a smith can use is a substantial weight gain, those cumbersome Massives would have made it impossible to move with any sort of speed or dexterity, then add in ye olde shoulderpads of doom and good luck seeing anything coming at you that isn't right in front of you. Visibly and logically I just liked the heavy armour best. That is my take, opinions vary.

my swordmaster was a 6' 2" man of somewhere around 245 pounds. his full chain shirt weighed in at a little over 30 pounds. That was steel tho I cant remember what gauge the rings were, or what size. But it was single layer, 4 to 1 ring When standing or sitting, the weight distributes fairly well, after actually getting it ON. getting upright from a horizontal position (like getting knocked down) you kinda felt the weight much more.

Now imagine if that was the FOLDED chain mail which the characters are using in the game. essentially twice weight, and considerably less flex.

The cost of chainmail is because A) It takes a lot of wire to make it, if we're talking about a full shirt, pants, or both. Even a vest costs a lot to get the wire. B) Then after coiling the wire, you have to clip off each individual link, open them up, sew them in thru the other links, and then close them again. Much, much manhours. Heck, cutting coils takes up a serious amount of time.

And thats not counting if they are riveted links. Which have to be hammered closed...After being hammered flat at both ends, pinned, and pierced. Oh yes...chainmail is definitely expensive. I could have sold the australian duster that I chainmailed for about 300-400 dollars if the coat itself had been in better condition.

Hmmm. I think I might still have that in a box somewhere. I bet that stuff REALLY needs to be polished, hahahaha.

Edit- damn. Thinking about this has got me wanting to do chainmail again. Hrm. Tax money will be here in a few days. Hmmmmmm.

I am unable to choose a single favorite. For me, each character I play the game as seems to have its own distinct preference. In the last game I played (EM Rogue) he favored light to medium; this game (again EM Rogue) he is wearing the massive Juggernaut Plate (IMHO one of the best in the game, modded or otherwise.) So it seems that for me anyway, the character of my character influences my choice rather than any real preference.

You didn't have the choice of no armor which I realize this is an armor thread. Honestly, I don't like the armor in the game, there is SO much of it. I never ever use heavy or massive armor, EVER. I wish the game had other clothing choices. I imagine myself walking and walking in the game to get where I am going since they have no horses to ride and I can't imagine doing it in heavy or massive armor. Just because Sten is a big guy does not mean he has to always wear massive armor. I like a more practical approach to clothing in the game. If my guy and Alistair are hanging out in Denerim, I'll change him to street clothes, thank God for mods! I use the Queen Attire - Anora, both Catonas Custom Items_HIGH STATS and Catonas Custom Items_STANDARD_STATS (Male_Female_Robes) and Reverend80 Mages Pack which was never updated for Awakening so I have only 1 character that is pre-awakening to have the clothes in his inventory, too bad, it was a GREAT mod! I've noticed some really skimpy female type stuff going around also and I honestly don't care for those mods, I would not like hiking through the forest in a thong. I think the Chasind robe and Robe of the Witch along with the Tevinter robes to be sexy enough for what little females I do play. I do use the NO Restrictions mod (V1_2) so my non-mages (what few I have) can wear the robes also. I prefer playing male characters.

Only do my Dalish elves wear Dalish armor early on in the game or when I have Zevran, then I'll dress them both in Dalish armor 'cause they are so cute together. After I give Zev the Antivan leather boots, then he goes into Catonas enchanted robe (high stats cause I don't want anything to happen to him), since you lose the armor bonus and I like to have what little armor I use in the game to be a set to get the bonus. Sten always gets the tier 9 Chainmail and Oghren gets the tier 9 Scale armor, I don't care for the Dwarven armor on Oghren, it makes his legs look funny. Alistair gets the tier 9 Scale armor in the very beginning of the game in Ostagar but after I get to Denerim he gets the Dwarven Armor (medium) tier 9. I've also started using the Original Duncan Armor which is really nice but not all my characters get it in their inventory, it's a very tricky mod becuase it is for human males only but I have one Dalish elf that did get it in his inventory, I need to find the ID and see if I can add it myself but when I do have it, I use the light armor on Alistair, he looks good in it. I love Cullen and how he looks in the Templar armor along with the Bewitched Templar in the Broken Circle quest but I won't have my guys wear it, I just like how it looks.

I do have an armor/shield and robe section at my forum that my admin, Amra put together and he did a fine job with good shots of all the armor in the game should you want to see it, check out his section, here. If he does not have ALL the armor, he has close to it. ;)