TES CS crashing whenever i edit face...

foxamakiir

Sorry, I can't find that box!

Is in this window?

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/7536/immagine1lv.th.jpg

No, it is in the window where you edit a particular NPC such as Nilawen ... the window that has the character attributes and inventory sections. On the righthand side of that window at the bottom you will see the preview checkboxes.

There is a work around that has something to do with clicking on the full body preview or something before doing anything. I will try to find the actually fix later if no one else comes up with it...

Edit: Win7 users should make sure Oblivion is installed outside of the Program Files (x86) folder.

• 2 months later...
I can't check the Full box when I am in the face or face advanced tab, it's grayed out. Is there an unofficial patch for this? It would be great to be able to do things without worrying about crashing all the time...

On my old computer with Vista, the CS was unstable when in the NPC editing window. It would crash at random times. My approach was direct frontal assault with human wave tactics. Try it over and over four times in a row if I needed to in order to succeed in saving my changes. A fresh load of the CS usually worked great. (i.e load up your mod and change the face first before changing anything else. When using the crash-prone window, save often. Perhaps after each little change or cluster of changes.

On my new computer I have Windows 7 and it is even more unstable when in the NPC editing window. It still crashes at random times, but now it crashes at some specific times too. If you see a white screen or grayed-out box RUN AWAY! Exit from that box immediately and save your mod to preserve your other work. You will probably not be able to do any major editing of NPCs during that session. You can still work on other parts of your mod, but to successfully edit NPCs you may have to exit and reload the CS. But there is no real reason to exit. You can just try to edit your NPC. If you succeed then great! (Save your work immediately before the CS can crash.) If it won't let you even try, then "Oh well." If you fail, then it will crash and you will have exited the CS. You can then reload, which is what you were contemplating doing anyway.

Vagrant0's advice sounds interesting and like it could eliminate half of my crashes. I will have to try it:

If you're using Windows 7, it's a known bug. The way to get around it is to bring the character up in the full body preview before going to the face tab.

If you're using Windows 7, it's a known bug. The way to get around it is to bring the character up in the full body preview before going to the face tab.

First of all I'm on Vista, second, the "full" check box is grayed out, I can't use full body preview, and third, it's not random, only when I generate face, and every time, even through 20 restarts, trying first thing, etc...

First of all I'm on Vista, second, the "full" check box is grayed out, I can't use full body preview, and third, it's not random, only when I generate face, and every time, even through 20 restarts, trying first thing, etc...

Vista and Win7 are similar when it comes to certain functionality. We basically do not distinguish between the two when dealing with Oblivion quirks. Vista quirks are Win7 quirks and vice-versa.

• 3 years later...

i just came across my own personal fix, maybe it'll help some of you who are still having problems with it-

I ended up reading how Shadowfen said to immediately edit the face before anything else then save. This may work for some, but it didn't work for me. I ended up clicking on the advanced face tab and it loaded, no crash. Just saying, try that out. Worked for me, may work for some of you.

• 2 years later...