Creating a Custom Companion

EternalKnight001

Greetings everyone. I admit I'm new to modding so any questions I ask may be a bit on the naive side, but I was hoping that given the rather robust modding community here I might be able to get some advise about something. I'm looking to create a custom companion for the player to travel with, but in my searches on the forum and on the website itself I haven't found any descriptions on exactly how to go about doing that. I've toyed around with the Tools a bit already, but there's quite a bit in there to learn and I'm a bit overwhelmed. If anyone could direct me to a how-to video or set of detailed instructions I would be most appreciative. And of course if I'm actually successful in getting this character finished I'll be putting him up for anyone interested to download. Thank you kindly in advance for any assistance given.

Ok, while I havent tried an undertaking like this myself, I cant' offer much in the way of advice. Other than this is going to be a considerable effort, and a big learning experience :wink:

Here's a couple of tuts that I know of. Like I said, I havent tried something like this, so I dont know just how "good" these tuts are.

http://social.bioware.com/wiki/datoolset/index.php/Tutorials main page.

http://social.bioware.com/wiki/datoolset/index.php/Follower_tutorial creating followers.

http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=851 ser gilmore NPC. Might give you some extra help, looking thru his files. Maybe not. But its worth a shot.

A lot of this kind of mod is over my head. So again... I'm sorry that I can't be more help to you than this.

But I definitely wish you good luck in your endeaver! :smile:

Thanks for the links, they've helped a bit. Some things the wiki doesn't answer are how to properly build a monster-companion (it figures, because that's what I'm trying to do. :P ) in regard to what settings you need to give them to make them function properly. For example, the companion my girl wants me to make for her is supposed to be a werewolf, so I'm trying to figure out things like what to set for Class (I'm trying to give it the normal werewolf attacks, and some of Dog's attacks for variety), Inventory (it'd be nice to be able to equip Dog's collar's and war paint on the new companion), etc. SilentCid's tutorials (part 2) helped some, and I'll post the link to them here in case anyone wants to see them (if they haven't already, that is. I'm a bit late to the modding scene, obviously). http://www.silentcid.com/main/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=45&Itemid=92

Look in the toolset for Scripts/Core Scripts/module_core then add there a new case EVENT_TYPE_MODULE_GETCHARSTAGE: or maybe you can create a new script:

#include "log_h"
#include "utility_h"
#include "wrappers_h"
#include "events_h"
void main()
{
   event ev   = GetCurrentEvent();
   int nEvent = GetEventType(ev);

Log_Events("", ev);

switch (nEvent)
   {
      case EVENT_TYPE_MODULE_GETCHARSTAGE:
      {
          SetPartyPickerStage("my_char_stage", "partypicker");
          break;
      }
   }
}

Thanks again for the great (and fast!) responses. I found the module_core section, but it appears to be read only. Should I create a duplicate of that, modify the dupe and replace the original with the duplicate? If so, where in the module_core should I place it? I ask that since there's 637 lines to place it on in there and I don't want to mess it up. Lastly (I know, I have so many questions), the tutorial I've been going with told me to use this code for it:

{

// Overlay the existing stage with my stage

// "my_char_stage" is the resource name of the overlay area

// "partypicker" is the name of the default GDA

break;

}

Is that more, less or equally effective as the

#include "log_h"

#include "utility_h"

#include "wrappers_h"

#include "events_h"

void main()

{

event ev = GetCurrentEvent();

int nEvent = GetEventType(ev);

Log_Events("", ev);

switch (nEvent)

{

{

break;

}

}

}

Well, from a tech standpoint, you should always make backups of files that you're editing. And especially one that is going to affect the characterstage. If you goof that up, you may not be able to select any of your characters when playing. So being able to replace the goofed version with the original would be very, very wise.

Tho if it's possible, I'd say to make a new file, from the old one, and drop it into your override folder with the mod. (hdhd or somebody else will have to let you know if you can do that or not tho). That way, you're not editing the original file, simply telling the game to use the new one instead.

Now...this WILL affect any other mod that uses a modded version of that file, and you will get hit by incompatibilities. To overcome that, if it happens, you will need to compile both conflicting files into ONE file, and get rid of the other two copies.

If you did a dvd/cd install, the files will be read-only. Any file that you copy from a distro disk is like that, because it's ROM (Read Only Media), not re-recordable media. Shouldnt be any problem to change its properties.

I'm glad that the links were of some help to you. Again, I'm sorry that I couldnt be more help than that, but this is something I havent ever tried before.

On making it LOOK like a werewolf, there's a setting for that in the toolset when working with the character's file. Its a drop down menu that lets you choose a creature appearance. I'm not at home right now, so I can't open the toolcrap to show you were that menu is tho. Again, sorry about that too.

IF there are werewolf files that you can open, look for thier PackageAI files. it should be a numeric value. I'm not 100% sure, but I THINK thats what controls their skills at levelup.

When I started this mod I didn't start changing the Single Player module, I created a new one instead to make sure that I wouldn't mess the original game up. One of the tutorials suggested that, and given my inexperience it seemed like a good idea. I did manage to get him looking like a werewolf, now I've got to figure out how to create a level advancement table that'll let him gain access to the generic werewolf attacks as well as Dog's, then get him set up to be able to equip Dog's items. If nothing else, this is certainly an interesting learning experience. I knew trying to create a whole adventure would be complicated, but I had no idea creating companions was as well. Live and learn, right?

Thanks again for the great (and fast!) responses. I found the module_core section, but it appears to be read only. Should I create a duplicate of that, modify the dupe and replace the original with the duplicate? If so, where in the module_core should I place it? I ask that since there's 637 lines to place it on in there and I don't want to mess it up. Lastly (I know, I have so many questions), the tutorial I've been going with told me to use this code for it:

It doesn't matter if you override the module_core or make a new script and set this as your module script. The advantage of making a new script is a better compatibility with other mods because you don't overrride/change any core files. Therefore a new script is the better choice (use my code and copy it in your script then set it in properties to your module script)

I don't know if you have already gotten your companion working but making abilities (there aren't any "generic werewolf attacks" as far as I know) is a bit more complicated. I never made any abilities so I can't help you with this much. But I think you first have to create a new class (like Dog, Shale), then later add new abilities to it.

It seems like just about everything involved in making mods for this game is a learning experience.

Ah how I miss the good ol' days when most of it was just drag and drop after making your scripts or graphics.