Sims 3 better than Sims 2?

Pineapplerum

I have Sims 2 and expansion packs up to Seasons. I also have a ton of mods for my game.

I would like to get the rest of the expansion packs for Sims 2 but I wonder if I should instead invest the money into a Sims 3 game.

If you have Sims2 and all of the expansion packs (not including the stuff ones because they're a rip off) and have modded the Sims 2 game, do you think

I should invest in the rest of the Sims 2 expansion packs or do you recommend getting the Sims 3 instead? Thanks.

That depends solely on your reasons for staying with the series and buying the expansions. From what I saw of 3, there were many aspects which were a downgrade over previous games. While there is a bit more flexibility within the basegame in regards to character ages, stories, and activities, it sucks for modding. In relation to Sims 2 + expansions without mods, you're losing quite a bit of extra features, like colleges, personal businesses, ect. The only thing which seemed like an improvement over previous base sims games is that that gardens, fishing, and collecting bugs/rocks were integrated into the game, as opposed to things which were either there just for scenery or added by mods.

Graphically, the Sims 2 is actually a bit better due to the fact that it can handle more actors on the same lot, and doesn't make use of baked textures (ala Spore/Dragonage) for everything. Although some of this is determined by hardware, given that the Sims 2 has lower requirements, you can get away with quite a bit more on a modern system with graphical mods installed. Even on very high graphic settings, the texturing method used in the Sims 3 made most things look like rubbish (mostly along necklines) if you zoomed in enough.

To make matters worse, the Sims 3 uses a similar Account management system which is linked to their online store where you can pay $5 for a refrigerator with a Fanta logo. The goal here was to not only single-handedly kill off a thriving portion of the modding community, nor to have aggressive product placement, but also to milk as much money out of their customers as possible.

It's not considered the death of the series simply because of EA hate. The company seems to have done about all they can simply to kill off those very things which kept the series going.

lol Vagrant its not that bad the sims 3 runs alot better than the sim 2....but i do know how you feel i hate EA too >_> and you can add your own mods most site i know are moving over to the sims 3, Graphically its about the same but your sims do look better in 3 one other thing the build tool is alot better in the sims 3.

I watched some of the Sims3 videos on You Tube and to me the Sims look a little like they have Down Syndrome or something.

My Sims 2 game is modded and I like how my Sims look in the game. I think I'll stick to the Sims 2 game and get the rest of the expansion packs.

$5 for a commercial refrigerator? Lol, that's as bad as those Stuff packs you pay $20 for and it's all crap. The only thing that's good about those things is that it gives you more meshes modders have worked with, made new textures with them and improved them. I have downloaded hundreds of mods for free and I'm quite happy with just the Sims 2.

Thanks, for your input. It's helped me make my decision.

EA has become way too greedy for their own good and I hope it bites them in their butts soon.

EA has become way too greedy for their own good and I hope it bites them in their butts soon.

Well, they havn't made any profits since 2006, and seem to selecting marketing decisions which only lead them down further, so that's something.

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/0/2/b/02bb3e210c6586be815e6f895eac10c3.jpg

I'm not a fan of sims as I don't see the point of making a character and watch it do things that I can do real life. Sounds illogical to me. But killing them and locking the grim inside a house with no doors is lots of fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiMIJR0ao3s

i would love to play the sims 2 again but i gave it away too a girlfriend.............. it was The Sims 2 Special DVD Edition as well with 4 or 5 addons all in one big dvd box ..... i never asked for it back...... :mad: :dry: :pinch: i'm having mixed Emotions again...............

i loved that girl :ermm: ugh

i will install the sims 3 again.... i guess

I'm not a fan of sims as I don't see the point of making a character and watch it do things that I can do real life. Sounds illogical to me. But killing them and locking the grim inside a house with no doors is lots of fun.

Well, atleast in that regard, there was an improvement. The Sims 3 has slightly more to do other than watch your Sims eat, go to work, have sex and piss themselves. Not overly much more, but still has elements which make it more of a game with actual progression (skills and traits are passed down, people inter-marry, and there's stuff to do around town when you're bored. The downside however is that once you're done playing through enough of the scripted storylines for default families to screw up the others, and once you've wandered around enough to be sick of collecting, there isn't much else there.

Although there is clearly a way to rig characters and families to have certain events (this was also present in The Sims 2), EA never had enough insight to decide and release this little feature for people to use and create their own stories... Instead they kept it to themselves as a means of forcing people to buy new expansions, or in this case neighborhoods, to get some different content.

And sadly, once you've done all that, the only thing left to do is to watch your sim eat, go to work, have sex, and piss themselves before meeting some horrible end. Just like with spore, the problem isn't the game, but rather the greedy, blind company who is calling the shots.

The only improvement that I can see is that the world is integrated and it is more streamlined. Several of the sims 2 expansion features are placed in sims 3 but like I said it sounds illogical to me to make a game about life.