Faces and Voices

Alehazar

My first character was a Dwarf Commoner and I was happily surprised on how exceedingly perfect Beraht's voice matched his facial features. Everything his character seems to embody is captured in his face and complemented by his voice and the choice of his words.

I was almost disappointed he was kicked out of the game so soon.

The same I think about Gorim; his face and voice are a wonderful match; it almost seems to perfectly define Gorim even if you know nothing about him. His tone of voice, his calm demeanor, the blush on his cheeks, his hair and beard, the cheekbones and eyes. It all adds up to make perfect sense. Even Prince Bhelen -whom I think is a total pr*ck- has a winning combo. (Maybe I'm just partial to Dwarves?)

(As an aside: for my Player Character, whenever possible, I use the Cocky Voiceset; "Ooh, it fell down" "Now that would make an interesting pet." "Time to kill some darkspawn!"; or for the female human noble, the Experienced Voiceset: after a successful kill: "Next!", "Finally some wildlife" "Did you honestly think you had a chance?").

- Duncan also has the right voice with the right appearance and the personality of his character.

- Loghain was a bit of surprise for me; but that was how differently he sounds; the way he sounds at Ostagar and the way he sounds at the Landsmeet. From a brooding, dark type of person. To a blusterous, boastful, self-righteous *ss.

- First Enchanter Irving has a voice that matches his looks, but the way he wields it, makes it sounds a little over the top.

- Dagna from Orzammar -yes, another dwarf- is also wonderfully voiced; when you agree to help her, her final remarks are a joy to hear.

- Brother Burkel -whom I think bears a resemblance to Dutchman Theo Maassen- looks a bit too much like he's joined the Dark Side of the Force, but the voice complements his function as a spokesman of the Chantry.

- The nug salesman who is out of nugs, has a truly wonderful mug to look at and his voice adds to his misery.

- Ruck -when he merely screams he sounds like Fozzie Bear of the Muppets- sounds right, but doesn't look the part; apart from his crooked stance maybe.

- His mother, Filda, sounds just right for the part she is supposed to play.

- Leske, also speaks the way he looks; great voice direction, what else can I say.

- Uldred, looks just like Wynne describes him -and leave it to Barry Dennen to make him sound like a raving lunatic who himself believes he has retained his sanity.

- Merchant Bodahn Feddic, is another splendid blend of voice and facial features.

- And while the animations for his son Sandal fail to elicit a certain liveliness -or lack thereof- you'd expect him to have, his voice is well matched.

- Oghren is one of the characters that wouldn't have been so colorful without the voice they gave him. Especially the conversations he has with fellow party members are a wonderful and welcome addition to the game.

- the same can be said for Shale; of course the golem has not much of a facial expression, but the voice really bestows life upon the walking rock.

- Morrigan; sexy and husky voice, with a use of grammar that suits the glint in her eyes. Wicked!

- Flemeth and Branka; Kate Mulgrew, do I need to add anything? The first voice actor I recognised.

- King Cailan; regal, but indeed the puppy that Wynne sees in him.

- Queen Anora; danger Will Robinson! She exudes the definition of a femme fatale. Her elven handmaiden sounds annoying; like she walked out of the set of the UK series "'Allo, 'allo". Marjolaine also sounds over the top -and that is not endearing at all.

- Sanga (the proprietess of the Pearl) seems to change her accent as she welcomes you to the pearl.

The default Leliana has also a matching voice; she looks like a human morph of Brain, from Pinky and the Brain -cartoon series. She sounds terrible; I think she is really poorly voiced. I now have a mod installed that changes her default looks into an approximation of her appearance in the Urn of sacred Ashes Trailer. She look better a thousandfold, but she still sounds horrible.

The one voice I really detest is he one of the Lady of the Forest; it almost makes me want to kill her, regardless whether I'm a goody two-shoes or not.

And, bits of conversation of NPC's that you may overhear when you're close enough:

One of the most hilarious bits of conversation is in Lothering, when your Codex updates about the Chasind: The "I saw you take the food from my cart" conversation? When the farmer finally says: "But what about my food?". Brilliant.

That's enough for me, now.