Help needed with NPC AI Packages

jcro25

I am currently having difficulties with getting an NPC to remain in the same place when engaging in combat. Currently I have an NPC that has a guard package in a watch tower, despite my efforts I am unable to make the NPC stay in the watch tower when he engages in combat which results in the idea of him being in the watchtower pretty pointless.

His AI package is as follows:

Package Type: Guard (remain near guard location ticked)

Guard Location: WatchTowerREF, Radius 0

Flags currently set: No Combat alert, Continue during combat, Friendly fire comments.

The NPC will remain in the watchtower until he engages in combat, once engaged he runs out of tower to the enemy

NPC's. My aim is to make the NPC remain in the watchtower at all times.

If anyone has a suggestion for my problem then please let me know, credit will be given on the PLR mod page.

Thanks in advance,

Jcro25 :nuke:

I was having issues with this for a day, after searching high and low. I spent enough time, and I've an idea for you to tinker with. I haven't tested anything, but assuming you know what you're doing, take a look at NPC -> ArlingtonLibraryRaiderGunGuard1 /2/3.

I haven't checked, but this appears to have a package that says "Stay at Position"...

I've successfully figured out how to make npc's stay IN a cell during combat, but if the stay at position does what it says, you could set a guard package with like 0 radius (assuming the npc won't move, but can search for enemies down below?) and the stay at position package would keep the npc inside the guard package?

Anyways, if your npc is inside a water tower and it's a cell, like a house.. Then create a package, and set the package type to "guard". From there it's self explanitory but I just simply set mine to a cell, so it would stay inside. On the flags tab of the package, check the "continue during combat".

What NPCs do during combat is determined by their Combat Style, which will override AI packages. There are two vanilla NPCs you might want to look at in the GECK: Arkansas and Stockholm.

Arkansas is the sniper in Minefield. He attacks from a distance and doesn't start moving moving around much until his target gets close.

Stockholm is the guard in Megaton. He is completely enclosed in his guard area and is unable to close with targets as a result. You may want to use a similar setup with your guard tower NPC.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I have tried everything and the NPC still runs out of the tower towards the enemy once engaged in combat, I would have like to use Danny159's suggestion but the fact that the NPC needs to be able to move out of the tower makes this impossible. I have changed the combat style and still no luck? any other suggestions, this problem has really got me stuck :down:

Two questions:

1. What have you changed the combat style to?

2. How does the NPC get into/out of the tower? Please explain in detail; the method used may be playing a factor.

Combat style for this NPC was originally "DefaultCombatRangedStyle" I have now set it to "Default", the same for the AI packages.

The NPC enters and exits the tower via wood planks which are fully navmeshed