Stealing

Paxan_1

Hi,

i've tried to use Leliana as a companion a little bit and so i tried that stealing thing.

I don't want to be a thief with myself, but i'm a little low in cash...

So i have a question about it, do it effect me when Leliana is stealing or picking locks?

If i think of this like you told me in the approval thread i would say yes. Because Leliana is in my team and she wouldn't do it on her own. So maybe you could argue that i have told her to pickpocket.

Hmm, a little tricky if you ask me...

Paxan

Well actually there are a few places where they seem to notice you stealing and punish you for it, at the Dalish camp for instance, but you should be ok stealing from people as long as you don't get caught, and you can also steal from mobs in combat. Stealing from mobs in combat means no problem cause you're going to kill them anyways.

When I play a city elf I steal with no qualms at all and I usually play a good character. I rationalize that due to the tough life this 19 yr. old has led that stealing is a natural consequence of his/her environment but I never steal from other elves or the poor and downtrodden.

Human characters I play will sometimes steal but only using the "Robin Hood" philosophy of stealing from the rich and giving to the poor (me.) The crime wave quests fit right in with that and also provide a tidy sum for the party purse. I look at what the potential target is wearing, tier 4 or lower medium or light armor and commoner clothes is a no go; tier 5 and up, heavy or massive any tier and noble clothes are my targets.

Well, i was stealing with Leliana in Denerim. I have pickpocket the merchants and the noble woman (don't know the name). Inside of the noble tavern i picked the lock of the left room at the end. After that actions i had a little action with Denerim soldiers. They said a Gray Warden is stealing...

There is the only thing, i never got caught.

Btw, you pickpocket during a battle? I still have problems with surviving..., but the idea is great.

Paxan

I am crazy like that, besides, half the time my skills for fighting are on cooldown anyways, so it doesn't hurt too much to rip-off an enemy you're about to kill anyways. Denerim seems to be one of the other places where you can pickpocket at will as long as you don't get caught. But I have honestly found that the amount of coin you get off of most NPC's regardless of their social status is chump change. I got to the point where I only pickpocket enough to get the achievement, then use Dragon Age Beguiler to get money. Well other than robbing darkspawn blind, but that's more for fun than anything else.

trying to pick the mage chest in Ostagar will get you a warning from the mage standing next to it.

Yeah, the Dalish dont like outsiders poking around their chests, or their purses.

ha! that would be funny. "Scuse me while I lift your wallet there, mister DS. That's right, focus more on Sten who is more intent on lopping off your head". Ha!

After my pickpocket adventure in Denerim i think you can't get "rich" with stealing. I think using it only on separate persons from time to time is a good idea.

@ roninsoul7

Dragon Age Beguiler? What's that?

@Paxan_1 Dragon Age Beguiler is one of the mods listed on the Nexus site. It allows you to change things on your characters, like attributes, skills, talents, love levels, backpack space, and much more. My favorite use for it is to put my characters at lvl 20 add some talent and skill points, make everyone love me, and then play the game for pure fun rather than struggle to level up. I only started using it after my second playthrough though, which I advise so that you can go through the vanilla version of the game first.

Playing lvl 20 and all love you, nice :) , sounds like fun.

Of course i will play the game without cheating the first time. It is interesting to discover all the things this game is offering. But good to know there are such tools, sometimes i just want to test some things, will be easier with that.