Str. oriented rogue vs warrior comparison

ihateregistering2

Hi,

I was wondering, is there any striking difference between str. based rogue and warrior in terms of max hit points, damage per hit and chance to hit given the conditions that both fighter and rogue have same level, stats, equipment and use same stat to determine efficiency of same actions? I was thinking to go thru the game with dual weilding character. Since I'd like to have sword/shield and two-handed tanks + mage by my side, I'd have to take a rogue... to disarm traps/open locks and partly to have bigger specialization variety. But I'd like to know whether taking rogue will impede my cqb capablities given the fact that I don't want to make my rogue dex/cunning oriented "you grab, i'll scratch" type of backstabbing sissy fighter. I know its most efficient but its not what I'd like. I had in mind more of a agile, mobile tanking character with decent strength, dex and willpower with just enough cunning to open any chest. Definitely wanna use strength to determine combat damage, at the same time id need to take lethality to grab evasion since I'd like to count more on dodging than enduring blows. So it all boils down to first sentence, is there such a big difference between str. oriented rogue and warrior in terms of toughness, damage dealth and chance to hit?

thanks

Hi,

I was wondering, is there any striking difference between str. based rogue and warrior in terms of max hit points, damage per hit and chance to hit given the conditions that both fighter and rogue have same level, stats, equipment and use same stat to determine efficiency of same actions? I was thinking to go thru the game with dual weilding character. Since I'd like to have sword/shield and two-handed tanks + mage by my side, I'd have to take a rogue... to disarm traps/open locks and partly to have bigger specialization variety. But I'd like to know whether taking rogue will impede my cqb capablities given the fact that I don't want to make my rogue dex/cunning oriented "you grab, i'll scratch" type of backstabbing sissy fighter. I know its most efficient but its not what I'd like. I had in mind more of a agile, mobile tanking character with decent strength, dex and willpower with just enough cunning to open any chest. Definitely wanna use strength to determine combat damage, at the same time id need to take lethality to grab evasion since I'd like to count more on dodging than enduring blows. So it all boils down to first sentence, is there such a big difference between str. oriented rogue and warrior in terms of toughness, damage dealth and chance to hit?

thanks

Uhm, a high dex/high cunn rogue has the HIGHEST DPS in the entire game; focusing on strength ruins that because so many of the rogue talents are amplified by cunning, including ones that add more damage and there are several.

Warriors and rogues are very different. Hmmm...but to answer your question, a STR based rogue will be crushed by a warrior any day.

I'm aware that dex/cunning rogue with piercing weapons is a monster. I made Leliana like that in my first playthru and she had the most kills and most damage dealt by far. I'd say she was even tad imba so I dont mind some nerfing down this time around. Can you give an example of base rogue combat skill utilizing cunning? What I meant was more of a general nature. Difference in hp gain per level, damage per hit/chance to hit per attribute point per level and so on between rogue and warrior.

EDIT: Found the relevant info on wiki

warrior: +6 health, +5 stamina, +0.4 damage

rogue: +5 health, +4 stamina, +0.2 damage

the difference in health and stamina is negligible... while damage bugs me quite a bit. In 20 levels that would be 8 points of damage from levels for warrior vs. 4 points for rogue. Somehing to think over... maybe more critical hits rogues deal (lethality, pinpoint strike) would make up for less damage per hit ? Mark of death and mark of the legion might help with damage too. On the other hand warriors can berserk and frenzy. Massacre seems better than Flicker too. Hard choice.

Moreover, the table on wiki seems bit unclear. It implies that strength only increases melee damage for warriors. Similarly, that dexterity increaes piercing damage only for rogues. Is that true? I would imagine that dexterity increaes damage with piercing weapons for all classes and strength increaes damage with all weapons for all classes as well.

In this game, your raw stats with level increases ***don't really matter***, because your enemies level up with you. What's important is the skills/abilities you gain as you level up. Therefore, your STR based rogue will be weaker because a lot of his abilities are critically based on other attributes, while warriors get more out of STR (pre-req, and bonuses) with their abilities.

Ofc, if you want to totally ignore your rogue skills tree, and just concentrate on lock-picking and the dual-wield tree, you can do that.

Weapons get same bonuses regardless of class of chara.

excuse the dig up but I got a follow up question. I was thinking to keep strength just about enough to be able to use long swords and pump dex & cunning and use cunning modifier to determine damage while keeping my rogue skills at peak efficieny. But what about chance to hit? Will the attack be determined by my dex AND cunning with lethality or just dex? I personally think that with lethality, cunning only determines damage instead strength and not chance to hit but I'd like to make sure. Something also tells me that cunning alone might not be enough to deal good damage. With strength and dex being primary attributes, I'd deal same damage as with cunning and dex, but at the same time i'd have a lot better attack. Provided my theory about cunning not adding to attack is correct. So if I'd like to stick with longswords, pumping strength and dex seems to be best option.

feedback is welcome

Dex is the only attribute that adds to your ability to hit. Str helps with damage, as does cunning for a rogue. The ideal builds I have seen so far without cheats have a str somewhere close to 20 or so for some nice light armor, 20-30 dex for the ability to hit (Most guides say that 40 dex and you should rarely if ever miss) and the rest into cunning for damage. How you build your character is up to you though.