RefIDs starting with numbers dont work

I'm try to have a mod add pre-existing NPCs into a faction, done through a DoOnce in a quest script, and have run into an odd problem. RefIDs starting with characters from the alphabet work fine, whereas those with decimal characters do not, ie. Cxxxx.SetFactionRank... works, but 9xxxx.SetFactionRank... does not. I tried adding the zeros at the start, but that didn't work either. Is there some special way to phrase them?

Thanks, Murky.

I'm try to have a mod add pre-existing NPCs into a faction, done through a DoOnce in a quest script, and have run into an odd problem. RefIDs starting with characters from the alphabet work fine, whereas those with decimal characters do not, ie. Cxxxx.SetFactionRank... works, but 9xxxx.SetFactionRank... does not. I tried adding the zeros at the start, but that didn't work either. Is there some special way to phrase them?

Thanks, Murky.

You can't use refids for this. You have to give each of the NPC references names and then use those names.

You can't use refids for this. You have to give each of the NPC references names and then use those names.

It works fine when the RefID starts with A to F, just not when with 1 - 9. These are vanilla NPCs. I tried using their names, & that didn't work either.

It works fine when the RefID starts with A to F, just not when with 1 - 9. These are vanilla NPCs. I tried using their names, & that didn't work either.

You need to use the Reference Editor Id name (for instance "PhintiasRef") instead of 0001D158.

You need to use the Reference Editor Id name (for instance "PhintiasRef") instead of 0001D158.

I tried that, and it doesn't seem to work either. Its just weird that it works if the RefID starts with a letter but not a number. I suppose I could just edit the NPCs directly, but I gather that is not ideal, in case other mods need to edit the same NPCs.

It is not safe to name your custom objects and actors and things with numbers. So if your character is named 00George, there are some times when the program will not be able to parse this and your mod won't work. If you had named him AAGeorge, then there would be no problem. I have not caught on to the pattern of when numbers will and will not be readable by the program. I just avoid using them at the beginnings of my names to prevent trouble.

I am not totally sure I understand your situation. Have you made your NPCs into persistent references and given them reference IDs? That would make it like: AAGeorgeREF.SetFactionRank AAStreetSweepersGuild, 0

That's because it's highly vulnerable of being taken wrongly. That's why you NEVER should use numbers before names of Any ID within CS as it will take it a Ref.

Things starting with numbers will malfunction as oblivion will look for a mod that start with those numbers and check the ref of that one. As it simply can't find it then it'll ignore/malfunction. Just use Ref Name-IDs within CS, it's possible and if it's not you should check why those actors don't work. Normally all NPC that have Ref-names are persistent.

I highly recommend you not to. However. The solution to this problem is simple. Use "", like "976C8".

However, this might malfunction at any random moment...so that's the warning.