Damage Blocking

TheNexxusOne

Does anyone know if there is a way to set an armor enchantment to actually PREVENT a certain amount of upfront damage without increasing Damage Resistance?

Just as an example, I dont believe that getting hit with a 10 damage bullet from an N99 while wearing power armor should deliver all 10 damage points. Perhaps 8 damage points should be completely prevented while the remaining 2 damage points are applied to the player and THEN damage resistance kicks in.

THe only reason I ask this is that I want to mod Power Armor to be more protective without making the 85% DR max trivial. For example, if strong power armor gives you 85% DR, what is the point of taking other DR increasing perks? As such, I would like to set Power Armor to completely BLOCK a certain amount of damage while leaving DR alone so that perks and drugs are not trivialized.

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Increase the maximum DR... Seriously. It's a game setting in the GECK.

Thank you for the reply. I know about increasing the max DR, but I am hesitant to do so because I don't want a character to be able to achieve the same DR as power armor by any means other than actually wearing power armor. As such, I was hoping for a way to make a script, base effect, or both so that I could make a specific armor enchantment that only applies to Power Armor and completely stops X amount of damage.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I never did manage to find a way to get a "Damage Threshold" into FO3, but I do hear that New Vegas will have the capability.

To do a good simulation job, I retagged all conventional firearms with "Electrical Resist", renamed the Electrical Resist to "Conventional Resist" and gave all types of power armor increasing levels of Conventional Resist according to the type of power armor. I also increased the max player resist to 95.

So with a nice set of Winterized T-51B (which I renamed T-57P and downloaded a new skin for) the player gets 95% resist to conventional fire arms. Tesla Armor is now actually worth wearing too since it gives a decent 70% Conventional Resist with both armor and helmet (it is still a heavily armored power suit after all) in addition to the energy weapon resist. For those interested less in Energy Resist and more in pure heavy armor, the other PA suits do nicely.

It works great!

In some cases I think that damage from small arms ammunition should be completely negated. JHP should splash on power armor. Maybe damage the armor a bit but not damage the occupant. AP ammo should be needed to hurt the wearer of the armor.

Well, I never did manage to find a way to get a "Damage Threshold" into FO3, but I do hear that New Vegas will have the capability.

To do a good simulation job, I retagged all conventional firearms with "Electrical Resist", renamed the Electrical Resist to "Conventional Resist" and gave all types of power armor increasing levels of Conventional Resist according to the type of power armor. I also increased the max player resist to 95.

So with a nice set of Winterized T-51B (which I renamed T-57P and downloaded a new skin for) the player gets 95% resist to conventional fire arms. Tesla Armor is now actually worth wearing too since it gives a decent 70% Conventional Resist with both armor and helmet (it is still a heavily armored power suit after all) in addition to the energy weapon resist. For those interested less in Energy Resist and more in pure heavy armor, the other PA suits do nicely.

It works great!

You, sir, are god.

Will you be releasing this publicly?

You, sir, are god.

Will you be releasing this publicly?

Well, thank you for the compliment. I have been tinkering with increasingly complex mods for quite some time now, but I always fancied myself a self-taught hack with nary a sliver of the talent of the true masters at work here. Since you are interested in my work on this aspect, I will go ahead and release it on the Nexus. I have never posted any of my work there, but I will in this case since it seems it fills a unique niche. All of my modding efforts up to this point have been aimed at a complete overhaul, so I will have to seperate out the data for this PA/Weapons mod, but it should be a simple matter. I will post here as soon as I have finished it and published it.

You could do something even better with this. We have ha handful of Resistances to play with

None

DamageResist

EMPresist

ElectricResist

Energyresist

Frostrisist

FireResist

PoisonResist

RadResist

We can't use the first and last ones, the second one is also a bit dodgy as it is the default one. You *could* do something bigger here and recreate a proper system of different ammo. Using these available types as so:

-Damage Resist: Base resistance against Melee/JHP rounds.

-EMPReist: Resistance against Plasma

-ElectricResist: Resistance against electric/Pulse Weapons (e.g. an EVE style pulse pistol and the Broken Steel Tesla Cannon)

-EnergyResist: Reistance to laser weapons

-FrostResist:Resistance to armour piercing rounds

-FireResist: Reistance to fire (same as before)

-PoisonResist: reistance to "super" AP stuff like FO1/2 stlye Gauss weapons.

To make something less resistant to a given resistance you have to give it a negative bonus on it's enchantment. Using a system like above you could make Power Armour invulnerable to JHP rounds, (100 DR), strong against AP rounds (-10 FrostResist), extremely vulnerable to Gauss weapons (PoisonResist -60), moderately weak against Plasma (-25 EMPresist) and so on for laser and electric/pulse weapons. Some messing with the enchantment names would be in order, but it could work really quite well, BoS Paladins would shrug off raider Assault Rifle/Pistol fire but take heavy damage from enclave plasma rifles.

To replace things usin poison resistance simply give them a poison-like enchantment (slow health damage around 1hp/sec for 30 seconds?)